This is the one non-cosmetic app I would jailbreak my phone over and over again for.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
So Tinman's posts have finally convinced me that it's easy enough and safe enough to jailbreak my 1.1.1 iPhone that I have finally decided to do it but...other than the obvious mostly cosmetic apps (summerboard, customize, etc...) what is the one app you absolutely couldn't do without anymore. Oh yeah, don't say NES. I'll take that one for granted.

Why do I want to know? Well, if there are some truly USEFUL apps (although I'm including NES as one of the top reasons I want to jailbreak my phone and it's not really useful now is it) worth voiding my warranty for then I'm taking the plunge. I've had my phone hooked up 5 times today ready to pull the trigger but then couldn't make myself do it. I don't want to void my warranty just to add themes and icons (even though I love the looks of tons of the themes I've seen here).

Is there a robust ToDo list app out there? Something along the lines of Datebk6 (a Palm program)?

Let me know that "can't do without it" app of yours.

p.s. Still post in the other thread "What's your favorite app?" Don't want to cut that one off asking my own question.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
If you really need a todo list, try Remember the Milk. The mobile version works very well on the iPhone, and loads quickly even over EDGE. As a plus, since it's web-based you can access it from any computer. No hacking or voiding required.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't really have one single app that I use/like the most. Here are a few of my favs:

1.) NES: 'Nuff said.

2.) FiveDice: Excellent Yahtzee clone. Great for killing time while on line, etc. (could have listed Blackjack here as well).

3.) ToDoList: Not even close to datebk, but better than Apple's current to-do list, which consists of... nothing. I use ToDoList mainly for shopping lists right now, but I suspect it will get better with time. While there are Web app to-do lists, I don't want to rely on getting a signal in the middle of a large supermarket or big-box store.

4.) OpenSSH. I like it mainly because it allows me to copy whatever I like, wherever I like, to my iphone--all via WiFi. Makes me wish I could sync iTunes via WiFi too.

5.) VNsea: Lets me control my PC with my iPhone. I even use it via EDGE. I've tried remote solutions that used Safari--and I hated them (too slow).

6.) Labyrinth: A game that uses the iPhone's accelerometer. You won't believe the level of control the accelerometer in the iPhone allows. I love demo'ing this game too--no one has anything like on any smartphone.

7.) Voice Notes: Should have been there from the get go.

8.) PDFViewer: See #7.

9.) Mobile Finder: This one app does so much. For starters, I can email any file on my iPhone to anyone (full-res camera photos, etc.). In addition I can launch apps with it, explore the entire iPhone, edit text documents, preview images, set permissions, and more.

10.) Books: Just what it says.

This is just off the top of my head.

Keep in mind if you are happy with your iPhone as-is, that is fine. I don't want to push anyone into doing something they wouldn't otherwise be interested in doing.

--
Mike

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Keep in mind if you are happy with your iPhone as-is, that is fine. I don't want to push anyone into doing something they wouldn't otherwise be interested in doing.

--
Mike
Oh no pushing needed, but that list right there is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Although I have to admit NES is the primary reason I wanted to jailbreak the phone, I wanted to know the other apps people couldn't do without. MobileFinder would probably have been enough for me from your list of apps but there are several others there that I want now as well.

As it turns out, I've already attempted the one-click jailbreak but must have done something wrong because at the end of it all, Installer wasn't on my springboard. Getting ready to try again now! Wish me luck!