"This message has not been downloaded" - workaround

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but today I think I found a workaround to the dreaded "This message has not been downloaded" error that you sometimes get in the email client. This happens when a message isn't fully downloaded and cached to the iPhone. There doesn't seem to be a way to "force" it to try again (short of rebooting, perhaps?)

However, if you hit reply, it seems to try again and will display the message in the reply quote. At least, it did for me today. If you cancel out and go back to the message, it's still not there, but at least this way you can read it.

I'll have to wait until it happens again to try and confirm this... Please give it a try next time it happens to you.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Bump. I know this happens daily... not to everyone, but between all of us combined. I'd love a little confirmation on this.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I haven't had it happen on the G3, but it used to happen to me all the time last year on my v1. I discovered the same work-around that you did, Dave, and as far as I can recall it always worked.

Breeze

Aug 16, 2008
I can confirm that if you get the 'this email has not been downloaded from the server' message, then when you selct reply, it asks you whether you want to see the full message first and by selecting yes, the message appears and then if you want, you can cancel the reply. Bit clumsy but at least you see the message. This happens to my emails quite frequently.