This place is THE fastest popular iPhone site.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It seems as if modmyifone.com and hackint0sh.org have slowed to a frustrating crawl.

But this site is running as fast as ever. Kudos, Chris!

--
Mike

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I must agree. I'm on a very slow cable internet connection (because Cox Cable apparently enjoys ripping off college students) and the load times at the sites are just awesome with no lag at all, even on ridiculous threads like "Post your iPhone Pics" or "Pics of your Mods".

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
More importantly, how does the Weblink icon look for those "other sites" .... pffff...

;)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
More importantly, how does the Weblink icon look for those "other sites" .... pffff...

;)
lol

And, sure, rub it in! :) (I ain't updating to 1.1.3 till it's jailbroken, or at least can be downgraded back to 1.1.2.)

--
Mike

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Absolutely agree. On keynote day, EIC still kept sailing along fast and smooth - makes for a much, much happier experience ...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Absolutely agree. On keynote day, EIC still kept sailing along fast and smooth - makes for a much, much happier experience ...
yes during the keynote I was driving to BFE through the desert (well, to Gila Bend, AZ--no offense to anyone who lives there!).

Thankfully I wasn't doing the actual driving, but trying to keep up-to-speed was not fun. OTOH, at least it kept me from "jumping the gun" on 1.1.3, like I did on 1.1.1. No need to repeat that ugly incident. :) :)

Oh, and of course JAiB ran at full speed too!

--
Mike

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
So I've noticed! This site is so fast and easy to get around...
I agree. I spent several weeks looking at other sites. None are as easy to navigate as this one. Don't think there are any as helpful as this one either. Hats off to all for the knowledge out there.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I agree. I spent several weeks looking at other sites. None are as easy to navigate as this one. Don't think there are any as helpful as this one either. Hats off to all for the knowledge out there.
ModMyiFone is a great site as well, but it's getting to be too laborious a process to browse on the site...:(

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Thanks guys! Always nice to hear good things about the site. When I set up the servers back in June, I really went nuts from both a hardware and software perspective. From January 07' to June 07', we had a few times where the site went down. Most occurred during MacWorld. As a site owner, you do everything you can to drive traffic to your site. When a site starts crashing because of traffic, there is no worse feeling. People go somewhere else and you may never see them again.

I wish the site had more members. I'm guessing the MMI download section is a big draw, as they have 4X-5X the amount of members compared to EIC. Despite the numbers, I do think EIC is the most active in terms of discussion.

I'd consider expanding the downloads section, but don't where to start or if it's even worth it. I know their focus is more on the mod/hack side and I've catered more to the mainstream iPhone user. That in mind, I know we do have a pretty decent group of modders here as well.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Again, thanks for the kudos. It's very much appreciated.

-Chris

jaeguyoon

Bronze
Oct 29, 2007
I go to MMi but not registered there. I go to hackintosh and not registered. This is the only iPhone forum I'm registered because this site is so easy and simple. MMi honesetly takes so much to load and they have too many sections in the forums.

I like this forum.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I rarely use EIC on my comp. Almost always I use the iPhone to access this site. This shows how good this website is to browse and reply and so on. The worst is Apple forums I guess because its always crowded and slow and difficult to use on iPhone.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I agree this forum never has problems...... Others that I am joined to are not near this

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Thanks guys! Always nice to hear good things about the site. When I set up the servers back in June, I really went nuts from both a hardware and software perspective. From January 07' to June 07', we had a few times where the site went down. Most occurred during MacWorld. As a site owner, you do everything you can to drive traffic to your site. When a site starts crashing because of traffic, there is no worse feeling. People go somewhere else and you may never see them again.

I wish the site had more members. I'm guessing the MMI download section is a big draw, as they have 4X-5X the amount of members compared to EIC. Despite the numbers, I do think EIC is the most active in terms of discussion.

I'd consider expanding the downloads section, but don't where to start or if it's even worth it. I know their focus is more on the mod/hack side and I've catered more to the mainstream iPhone user. That in mind, I know we do have a pretty decent group of modders here as well.

Thoughts? Ideas?

-Chris
I agree that EIC is the most active in terms of discussion. I know this isn't super helpful, but I think you have struck just the right sort of balance with the site - there are plenty of good threads on mods and 3rd party apps, as well as lots of intelligent conversation on a range if iPhone topics. I think the things that are different between EIC and MMI, mean it's useful to visit both, there maybe isn't as much direct overlap.
Getting new members - maybe an incentive scheme of some kind for members who bring in new folks? If you bring X number of new members, you get a gift certificate for X amount at the EIC store? We probably all have people we should be touting the site too, but it slips your mind sometimes - a little incentive may jog the memory ...

S

Starry

Ok not that this will matter to anyone LOL but being a woman on here, even if I ask a stupid question, the folks here are REALLY nice about it. You all blend in to help people no matter how insane, and if they really bother you, you don't go blasting them online in the forums. You ignore them or move onto something else. This is by far the BEST place I've been, and I've been to everyone out there trying to get help cause I wanted a cool phone like everyone else had, and many of you have been really super neat about offering to help, and you banter wonderfully too... :)

Kudo's to you Chris and the caliber of folks that are members here.. you all are fabulous to be in the same company with.... so Thank you to ALL who've helped me.. And when I win the Lottery I'll remember you all especially Tinman while I'm CRUISING through AZ on my way to Las Vegas! LOL... :)

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I must agree. I'm on a very slow cable internet connection (because Cox Cable apparently enjoys ripping off college students) and the load times at the sites are just awesome with no lag at all, even on ridiculous threads like "Post your iPhone Pics" or "Pics of your Mods".
Cox cable likes to rip off college students, professors, and regular Joes alike. I forgot how terrible cox cable was! lol

This site is fast and easy to navigate. I registered at modmyifone, but don't usually visit or post. (It is harder to navigate and I do not mod my iPhone, either). I read and post here on EDGE while my husband drives us to and from work.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I read somewhere that down in the basement you have got [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Squirrels running those cage wheels on the servers trying to keep up. Hopefully you give them a break.[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Oh by the way, is my weekly check in the mail?:mad:[/FONT]

Thoughts? Ideas?

-Chris

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I read somewhere that down in the basement you have got [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Squirrels running those cage wheels on the servers trying to keep up. Hopefully you give them a break.[/font]

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Oh by the way, is my weekly check in the mail?:mad:[/font]
There's some squirrels in your tags their mate :laugh2:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I read somewhere that down in the basement you have got [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Squirrels running those cage wheels on the servers trying to keep up. Hopefully you give them a break.[/FONT]

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Oh by the way, is my weekly check in the mail?:mad:[/FONT]
If Chris ran the site with poor squirrels I'm quite afraid I'd have to leave. The thought of squirrels being forced to power a server is sickening.

- John