This stuff looks like it's magic and we might finally have a real waterproof coating for the iPhone!

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
So I ran across this video on a Jeep JK forum when researching how people are caring for their undercarriages.

I have never seen anything like this and it is actually out there available for purchase at Home Depot. The iPhone application starts at 3:21 of the video but you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch all the crazy stuff they do with this coating for the first 3:20 of the video! I particularly like the toilet bowl brush and the cinder block.

Would I purposefully dunk my iPhone after applying this stuff? No. But it would be an amazing backup plan in case your phone accidentally got dunked or splashed. Actually, with everything they coat in the video you could do your iPad, computer, whatever you want the way it looks.

Enjoy!

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Same sort of thing as Crep Protect!

But Crep Protects video just plain sucks! Out of focus, seasick movements ( buy a cheap tripod to mount the camera / phone too for God's sake) and only showed it applied to cloth materials. ;)

Grayburn

Bronze
Sep 23, 2010
London, UK
Whatever...Crep Protect is where i see this method of protecting elsewhere hence me saying so.

Who cares about the video, it's what the product does is what counts.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It would be awesome if phone manufacturers began applying this product to the components before assembling them. It would be optimal since the coverage areas would be better. I wonder how long it lasts before it wears off.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I agree. That would be fantastic. You might have to reapply the outside coating every once in awhile but I would think the inside would last as long as the device.

Sent using iCafe app

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Europa, your an iFixit kinda lady.... Take your device apart coat all of the innards, reassemble & let us know how it works ;)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
But Crep Protects video just plain sucks! Out of focus, seasick movements ( buy a cheap tripod to mount the camera / phone too for God's sake) and only showed it applied to cloth materials. ;)

Don't they get any points for the cool soundtrack? :D

Also, I think that it would be a great April Fool's Day joke if you coated your husband's or your wife's bath towel with that stuff while he/she is in the shower.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It would be awesome if phone manufacturers began applying this product to the components before assembling them. It would be optimal since the coverage areas would be better. I wonder how long it lasts before it wears off.

It would be great for the consumer, but that might make their products a little bit too durable... I'm not sure they'd like that...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Unfortunately it isn't that magical, at least not for this application.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/45/4559f9b8-1537-4713-aa24-8223c7d17ce8.pdf

...Due to the oils in the skin, excessive handling with bare hands of treated materials can cause a reduction in performance. Abrasion will also cause a reduction in performance.

Can NeverWet be used on electronics?
No, NeverWet should not be used on electronics.
Not to mention it would likely mess with the oleophobic coating on iPhones, causing more fingerprints.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I wouldn't spray the screen anyway. It says it dries hazy. Wouldn't look too good on the screen.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Why would you need it on the front of the screen? It isn't affected by water. Not saying you could remove the screen and soak it in water, but you can use a wet cloth to clean it. You just don't want to get it in the ports.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Why would you need it on the front of the screen? It isn't affected by water. Not saying you could remove the screen and soak it in water, but you can use a wet cloth to clean it. You just don't want to get it in the ports.
Leave Bluto alone; he's on a roll.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
This could be used in the internal components.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This would be sweet for paperback books at the beach/pool.