This Was Found Within Apple's New "Swift" Programming Language Documentation

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This was an interesting find within Apple's Swift programming langauge documentation. Someone has a cunning mind. :D

r3LVpig.png

#1 Napoleon PhoneApart, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014
  2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Cunning stunts

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And I'm wearing a new "Firefly" tee right now. :D

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm really excited about Swift coming out in the fall with the MacOS update "Yosemite". As a programmar, Apple is breaking new ground and it will be interesting to see how Android responds.

5. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I'm not a programmar, so would it be easier to learn Swift with no previous knowledge of C, C++, or Objective C? And, for programmars reading this thread, how difficult will it be for you to 1) learn Swift, and 2) convert/migrate your existing apps to Swift? Or is there no advantage to migrating existing code to Swift?

6. aknightstale41

Gold

Swift, like its name implies is a faster programming langauge, so less code does the same work but faster. And less code means less to learn. As for the converting Obj C to swift, they probably will handle it that with an Xcode feature like they did with converting your non ARC apps to ARC. There should be a considerable advantage to migrating old code to swift, speed being the foremost, probably less use of resources as well....Boy technology keeps marching forward, i just finished getting many of the key concepts of Obj C and IOS development down, got a couple apps in the store, and now a new langauge...guess I'm going back to school again.

7. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It would definitely help to have some programming background. With that being said, I would at least learn C++ or Java to get a basic understanding of some core concepts and the whole object-oriented way of thinking. It shouldn't be that difficult for me to learn Swift since I I have written code in both C and C++. The difficulty will be the nuances that come with learning a new langauge like syntax and how to accomplish something in that particular langauge. I haven't made any apps for iOS so I don't have anything to worry about, but I'm sure that will be addressed before the release and portability issues.

8. lauralouise90

lauralouise90 New Member

Swift's great to use with Apple - I wouldn't say you need masses of programming background to use it, especially as there's loads of guides and ebooks around to help you do your builds. Like RBNetEngr was asking about apps with Swift - there's a guide for that on Packt (can't post the link to it yet, but will come back and add it in when I can!)

Personally I really enjoying using it and can't wait for more updates :)

9. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Are you a developer or do you use Swift for a hobby? I'm going to start iOS development next year as part of the Software Development program at the college.

10. aknightstale41

Gold

In my opinion the best way to learn iOS development is through online courses… The college courses I've tried i didn't get much out of..and that Stanford course taught on iTunes U is pretty lame too, that professor is too busy impressing himself with his knowledge to know anything about teaching...i received the bulk of my IOS and swift learning from Treehouse.com and UDEMY.com. Both excellent sites to give you the skills you need to make apps in only a few months.

11. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

You're the second person to recommend Udemy for online courses. I have the app installed and occasionally browse the course offerings. It's the first time I've heard of Treehouse but found it interesting that you mention iTunes U. I was going to try a couple courses to see what they are like.