This will probably be a very unpopular post

Ocala

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Ocala, FL
I’ve been thinking this for some time but haven’t had the opportunity to write it…but I think all of you who risk bricking your phones just to have a transparent icon or WHATEVER are NUTS!

I see people referring to an iPhone in it’s virgin state as something less useful than a VCR or a desktop computer that runs on DOS and has an 8088 microprocessor! Never mind the fact that the iPhone has revolutionized the mobile phone industry – I was counting the days up to iDay waiting for this phone. I’ve had Nextel phones for about 6 years, never really liking them, but not willing to change for more modern phones that didn’t seem that exceptional. The first time I saw the iPhone on TV I knew I would have one as soon as possible.

We’ve all been waiting since the Birth of Christ for this phone, is waiting a few more months for them to open up the software platform really a big deal?

I DO understand the desire to personalize the phone but do you really want to risk bricking a phone that expensive for so little on a relative basis? I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Apple figures out how to disable pervious versions of iTunes to make maintaining an unlocked phone more trouble than it’s worth.

I realize that without the adventurous spirit we wouldn’t have gone to the moon, but beta testing iPhones can be an expensive hobby…

Wouldn’t it be great to be able to sync you phone without wondering if this might be the final episode in your journey to independence?

Have a great weekend!

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
I think to each their own. For some it is fun to see how much they can customize. I think there are many compelling and interesting things you can do with a jailbroken phone.

My iPhone is locked and unmodified 1.1.2, but I think when somebody pays $399 for the privilege, they have the right to use the phone they own as they please.

You also are entitled to your opion. No going nuts. No gnashing of teeth or rending of clothes. Just a simple difference of opinion. Live and let live.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Hey-I am too chicken to jailbreak my phone, but I think it great if someone does it. Why should you care if someone want to jailbreak their phone and risk bricking it? I am kind of confused...you are getting all worked up over nothing, really. I have enough stress dealing with regular life, I don't need to fuss over what other people are doing to their phone.;)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
All i am going to say about this is that there is virtually ZERO risk of bricking your phone by modding.

It's unlocking that would scare me.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I don't see the harm in it just as long as I am not hurting anyone in the process. What I do with my $400+tax phone is my businesss and anyone that feels so strongly against me modding it can kindly refund me the $$$$$ I spent on it. Then, and only then, would their opinion matter to me.

And I say that nicely....

Justin

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
All i am going to say about this is that there is virtually ZERO risk of bricking your phone by modding.

That's what I was under the impression of as well.

I thought that jailbreaking, modifying, etc, was totally safe. It's when you get to unlocking you could have issues...

Just how I thought things were *shrug*

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007

Exactly. Jailbreaking and unlocking are two very different animals.

shamrock

Nov 25, 2007
USA
Jesus died so we could jailbreak our iPhones.

It's a little known fact that they talked about this at the Last Supper.

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
As I'm reading this post, I'm thinking to myself - that I would never trade my modded phone for any virgins in the world!LOL! Although I know there's no risk on having iPhone modded, If anything does happen to my 400+tax phone, I would gladly buy a new one and HACK it all over again! So to those in the Dev Team, my hats off and big thanks to you! You make my whole iPhone experience much more exciting (including the new guitar tuner app) I love having a "different iPhone" from the other guy or chick sitting next to me - thank you.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Being able to have some useful utilities added is worth it. But honestly, having my little girls' picture as the wall paper all the time is the biggest plus for me. (Course I need those transparent icons the OP talked about so I can see them good :) )

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I believe everyone should have the right to modify something they own and have paid for. If Ford said you were only allowed to use BP petrol in their cars or they'd void the warranty - there'd be a riot.

By modding though, you have to accept FULL responsibility for your actions. The manuals are out there available for everyone to read.

If you read this and type 'rm / -rf ' into your terminal program. Who's fault is it?