Thoughts on having a wallet feature on the new iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by chris, Jun 25, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

We've seen no shortage of rumors about NFC chips being included in the iPhone, previous models and now the new iPhone 5. This of course opens up Passbook or some new iOS 6 app to pay for things with your iPhone.

I've had this discussion with Marianne on the podcast before and would love to see a wallet app on the iPhone. I would love to flash my iPhone to pay for stuff. My only issue would be limited support, that would likely have me continuing to carry my wallet. I'd bet that if Apple does come out with a wallet, it will be a grander scale than Google Wallet. Still, this will probably be limited to big retailers. Starbucks, Target and those featured in the Passbook promo photo.

I always have my iPhone. I never leave it at home by mistake. My wallet, not so much. I'm always forgetting it or misplacing it.

Chances of this happening seem pretty good and I hope it does happen.

What are your thoughts on having your iPhone replacing your wallet?

#1 chris, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I would still most likely carry my wallet as it has other cards and my license! But this sounds like an awesome idea!

3. CamXCollins

CamXCollins Member
    Bronze

Agreed. In the long run, however, I feel that we will see a transition to a state where all forms of ID and transactions are carried out electronically.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

In theory, a great idea. Just not sure if states can get over the hurdles required to make that happen. If it were optional, then the move would be quicker. There will also be hold-outs, be it for economical reasons or simply no interest in technology. License in the cloud, sign me up.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon. As far as credit cards being carried electronically, sure! :)

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Starbucks alone had the feature for quiet some time
    You can have your coffee/drink made as you walk in and pay with your phone
    Love it absolutely! Please tell me where there is one store I can use the function at ?
    And like Chris said there will not be the merchant participation.

7. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

I like the idea of an 'electronic wallet'. I would want to have it backed up and a device back up if it crashed. I don't see going through TSA security and flashing them your phone, that would be a really bad time for it to malfinction.