Thoughts on iOS 7 being black, white and flat all over

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Interesting report this morning from 9to5Mac on how iOS 7 will see a major overhaul. The iOS 7 UI will be black, white and flat. Have to say, if they deliver something in line with this concept, I'd be thrilled.

ios7-app-concept.png

Last edited:

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
It's hard for me to comment on anything without seeing it first, but I look forward to seeing the visual changes in iOS 7.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I wouldn't hate that sort of change, but I'm far more interested in iOS features and functionality than any design changes. Oh, and some major, overdue improvement to iCloud.

For my money, Apple is not in any grave danger of falling behind Android / others on the design side of things. That can't be said anymore about features, capabilities, and cloud services though.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm apprehensive. I won't argue that iOS's UI is perfect - far from it. But I happen to like a lot of the skeuomorphism used, and frankly don't understand the hate for it on most of the blogosphere. I also don't see what the problem is with using textures, or gloss, or shadows, apart from it not being "industrial".

But hey, I'm not Jony Ive, so I'll reserve judgment until I see and use it.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Judging by that Calendar app mock up I have to say I don't like it. It's too bright for one thing, won't all that white tax the battery more?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I wonder if any of this will directly impact how third party apps look and feel. I'm guessing some elements will naturally shift to Apple's new flat approach?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Flat would be fine if we had a little control over color options. I don't see why they have to trash everything and start over, though. It's possible to streamline the interface without redoing the whole thing.

Functionality needs to be addressed way more than aesthetics.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
I think that it will be fine. I can't see Apple making anything that won't be visually appealing. I think that a UI overhaul is much needed and will be welcomed by consumers. We need to stop worrying and wait and see what it is when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I wonder if any of this will directly impact how third party apps look and feel. I'm guessing some elements will naturally shift to Apple's new flat approach?
Idunno, I think most apps were headed in that direction anyway, if not there already.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Depends on how flat there talking about here.... I like the UI as is and agree Apple is all about aesthetics and I doubt they will produce anything that doesn't look good. That being said the jury is still out till we see what it looks like real life.

Sent using iCafe app

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Has there been anything officially touted that there will be visual changes or is it just rumours ?

Sent using a bottle of fairy liquid

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
There are all sorts of speculation and concepts on the interwebs, but I'll just wait until June 10th. I'm hoping for a drastic improvement in UI functionality including widgets, multitasking, and notifications.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I hope they don't go 'Window-esque'. I like the semi-transparent graphics such as the lock screen. Trying to emulate a Windows or Android like experience will backfire and make it another boring interface. I do think Apple could revamp the app icon appearance into a 'card feature', similar to what we see in Auxo.