Thoughts on iPhone 1.1.1

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kency79

Bronze
Sep 2, 2007
Hamilton,NJ
www.myspace.com
So it finally came out after all the debates and drama.

I hacked my phone but I didn't unlocked it. I had installed a couple of application and modified my screen, ringtone to name a few.

I got home and I read all the post about all the hacks is deleted. I still went and update my phone without restoring it first. I must say I took a change of bricking my phone. To my surprise, the update went very smooth. Everything is back to where I started when I bought the iPhone.

The update - The phone's speed seems to be faster. The push yahoo is finally working. The "easy to use" WiFi iTunes store is great, volume is a lot better..... etc.

I was a little scared that my phone might be bricked since I hacked it but luckily it didn't. I guess Apple doesn't really want to that but it is beyond their control if any application or unlocking it will damage the phone.

People might asked if the update is worth it. I think it is. As much as I love the hacks/Modding, I rather have a fully functional phone rather than sluggish or non-functional one.

Just my $.02.

Shotta876

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
So you have to pick:

Fully functional, or third party apps?

That's a screwed up situation to be in.

I'd rather have my $400 back.

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
all nice and well...

but my speaker sounds louder than ever when playing the ipod through the external. Of course no one is too excited by AM radio sound that way.

But I'm not impressed with the hoped for volume for receiver and speakerphone. In fact the latter actually seems lower than the improvement from the last update.

I just don't get it.

If the point is to make money on adding the iTunes store fine. But how does something vital like the volume issue go backwards?

kency79

Bronze
Sep 2, 2007
Hamilton,NJ
www.myspace.com
but my speaker sounds louder than ever when playing the ipod through the external. Of course no one is too excited by AM radio sound that way.

But I'm not impressed with the hoped for volume for receiver and speakerphone. In fact the latter actually seems lower than the improvement from the last update.

I just don't get it.

If the point is to make money on adding the iTunes store fine. But how does something vital like the volume issue go backwards?
I think there is a significant change on the volume, well atleast on my phone.

neph19d

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I agree I like my phone more now that its normal without the hacks even though the themes were cool but on well I can still make calls use the iPod and everything so whatever its not a big deal

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
So you have to pick:

Fully functional, or third party apps?

That's a screwed up situation to be in.

I'd rather have my $400 back.
Never got the iPhone for the 3rd party apps. It was fun while it lasted, but a fully functional phone with the hope of more good things to come is plenty for me. I've got my ringtones back. Had to pay for them, but the experience wasn't unpleasant.

Aug 1, 2007
My thoughts? It's brutal. I think it should be illegal to lock peoples phones up because of an unlock which is legal. Plus I didn't even unlock mine, just did hacks and it still F*ED up.. and I can't get it to work and it says incorrect SIM.. I've restored this thing like 4 times, and can't go back to previous firmwares..

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
My thoughts? It's brutal. I think it should be illegal to lock peoples phones up because of an unlock which is legal. Plus I didn't even unlock mine, just did hacks and it still F*ED up.. and I can't get it to work and it says incorrect SIM.. I've restored this thing like 4 times, and can't go back to previous firmwares..
I understand your pain man, had many bricking experiences with devices in the past. I am surprised that that new law that passed last year doesn't help us any more than it does. It only states that it is not illegal to unlock a phone, but doesn't say anything about the manufacturer's being able to lock it back the next week with a software update... gah

Holly

Jul 4, 2007
The update - The phone's speed seems to be faster. The push yahoo is finally working. The "easy to use" WiFi iTunes store is great, volume is a lot better..... etc.
It seems everytime someone does a regular old restore or even just a reset, yahoo push will work for a while.

Please let us know if yours continues to work after a few days or if this was just another reset-work for a day situation.

Thanks!

Holly

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
So tempted to update (don't know why) 'til I saw this. When I replaced this keypad, I decided then that I think I'll hold off for awhile. :cool:

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I understand your pain man, had many bricking experiences with devices in the past. I am surprised that that new law that passed last year doesn't help us any more than it does. It only states that it is not illegal to unlock a phone, but doesn't say anything about the manufacturer's being able to lock it back the next week with a software update... gah
Yeah, except that Apple bricking doesn't even let someone activate back with AT&T. It's a brick in every sense of the word.

axhoaxho

Jul 3, 2007
I don't care about hacking my iPhone or Apple playing cat-and-mouse with owners, but I am getting tired of updating my cellphone every few weeks.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I'm upset at Apple's actions regarding the modders and the unlockers, but it didn't effect me at all.

As to me personally:

1 - Increased speaker volume for speakerphone and iPod, volume is louder, but noise/distortion is also! All in all, at BEST it's as good as before.

2 - HUGE reduction in cell signal quality. I'm dropping calls/losing bars all OVER the place, where I never did before. I missed 3 calls in the first 2 hours after the update, in places before the update where I'd hold a 2 bar signal no problem. In addition, I've had multiple instances of NO EDGE signal at all, no E on the phone anywhere. This has NEVER happened to me before (except on an airplane at altitude) and I've seen 3 in 2 hours.

3 - When watching videos in iPod, at end of video when you hit "Done", you don't get prompted to delete anymore. You can delete manually (via the "finger swoop"), but it's annoying, and why remove this?

interzone

Sep 28, 2007
The wi-fi store does nothing for me.

I don't pay for albums/songs, so it's irrelevant.
So that means you are one of those people stealing royalties right out of my pocket? If you had a job where part of your income was derived from a royalty system and people started taking that away from you because of illegal downloading you'd be pissed right? Well, you are taking money away from not only the artist but me (a producer/engineer), my assistant, my manager, the studios, the lawyers and everyone else involved with the creation of music. But you already know that.

kieran

Sep 5, 2007
While I was a little disappointed at first to lose the few apps I installed, my phone has been running a lot smoother since the update. It was running somewhat slow for a while.

I don't know if I'm crazy, but it even seems like the magnifying glass works 100 times better. It never worked for me before and now it works like a charm.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
So that means you are one of those people stealing royalties right out of my pocket? If you had a job where part of your income was derived from a royalty system and people started taking that away from you because of illegal downloading you'd be pissed right? Well, you are taking money away from not only the artist but me (a producer/engineer), my assistant, my manager, the studios, the lawyers and everyone else involved with the creation of music. But you already know that.
Maybe they already own their music collection and are simply moving them from CDs to their digital library. We don't really know, so unless we're told otherwise lets give our posters the benefit of the doubt.