Thoughts on .Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and iPhone' started by patrickj, May 24, 2008.

1. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I just started the 60-day trial of .Mac today. I only have a single Mac machine, so not sure as yet whether it will be worthwhile.
    So far, I think I like its mail account quite a bit - I've had problems with Mail.app when trying to use various POP3 accounts (had tons of hangs, never quit cleanly without a force-quit, required mailbox repair way too often etc.). Now with just having .Mac and Gmail accounts in it, so far anyway, no bad behavior.

Also like some of the sync stuff, even if for now it is just syncing to the web, rather than to multiple machines.

Would love to hear what any of you all think of .Mac, what you use it for, what you think are good features (if any) even for a single Mac environment so to speak ...

2. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

I have the family plan set up. I have all my hotmail accounts forwarded to my .Mac account. Works like a charm. Will be even better when the .Mac push e-mail feature is released.

3. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Yeah, I have to admit if rumors of push email and calendar / contacts sync over-the-air getting added to it are true, that would be a *big* plus point.

I'm doing some major forwarding to it for now as well while I try it out.

Which of its features / services do you use the most?

4. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

Primarily the mail. .Mac also supports synchronization of folders so you have remote access to files or documents. There is a bandwidth limit, however, that you need to be mindful of. This is particularly true if you want to upload movies and download them to other locations.

I haven't made my own web page, but the option exists.

5. connie

connie Evangelist
    Gold

I also am on the trial version. I don't use it that much though, I always go back to my gmail just cause I'm use to it. I don't think I want to shell out $100 more a year to Apple. I find it a little steep.

6. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member
    Gold

I agree with Connie. I used the trial last year - I really liked it - but I think it's a bit expensive. If they offered a lifetime membership, I would get it, but a yearly free... sorry.

- John

7. geordisjd

geordisjd Zealot
    Bronze

I've had a .mac account for several years. When options suddenly increased (more space, data transfer, etc...) last year, I was "rewarded" with 30 GB of online space and 300 GB of monthly transfer for the same price. As far as I know, that much stuff isn't even an option if somebody wanted to actually pay for it. Go figure... I have some 20 GB stored online.
    All my computers (I know, I have too many...) are synced through it: several mail accounts, calendars, bookmarks, widgets, contacts, bookmarks...

I've had web pages and sites since about 2,000 (I think). I put movies on my site that I can access with iPhone.

I think it's been worth the cost.

8. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I've been thinking a bit about how useful some of that space might be (think it just 10GB with a standard account?).

The mail client so far is very good, and if it proves true that push mail / contacts / calendar will soon come along for it, that would almost be worth it on its own for me (though more pricy than some hosted Exchange options).

How easy is it to share movies / pics etc. with people who are not .Mac members?

9. geordisjd

geordisjd Zealot
    Bronze

Very easy. You put them online on your web page(s) and they can see them/ download them from there. There is also a public folder where you can store stuff you want to share, but not display.

10. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Thanks. It is growing on me already - keep having to resist the urge to just sign up now, without really trialing it much ...

11. geordisjd

geordisjd Zealot
    Bronze

And, of course, you can finally use that "send to web gallery" from your iPhone.:)

12. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Jeez - need to un-memorize credit card details and avoid the Paypal plugin button :)

13. kokogirl

kokogirl New Member
    Gold

I am not very techy at all.

When I got my Macbook earlier this year, I got a .mac membership. I have not used the mail much, but I may ending up using it more if the push mail rumors are true. (I have 2 personal gmail and 2 work yahoo bizmail accounts).

I did make a family photo gallery and a family webpage. It was very easy with the iLife 08 suite that came with the Macbook. When I got stuck, I just went over the the help section of the Apple website. I am not good about updating the webpage or photo gallery very often, but it is nice. When you change or add something you can send an email announcement to all your friends and family.

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I find myself only using the email portion of the .mac. Having upwards of 20 assorted email accounts from the various sites I manage, I really do not have any use for my .mac. That being said, I renew every year because it's been my "main" email address for years. I also use my account to purchase email add-on accounts for my family.

From an email perspective, it's rock solid and spam-free.

The other features are nice, but unfortunately I don't have a need for them.

15. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

i've had a .mac account for about 5 years now. i primarily use it for email (this is my main account that i use to communicate with friends and family), and i do use the idisk a fair amount for back-ups of my calendar, address book, a back-up of my site files, and other miscellaneous documents. i am hoping that push email and the other rumored goodies will become fact. once i finally get ilife '08 installed (or upgrade to a macbook air with it pre-installed), i'm sure i'll use the "send to web gallery" option on my iPhone that kokogirl mentioned.

16. i robot

i robot Member
    Silver

hi guys I just purchased my iMac lately but haven't ativated the .mac account. The main reason is that most people I know are PC users as is my work. Can you access online storage from a PC?

And what's the send to web gallery from iPhone I have never seen this on my phone. Is this a jailbroken thing?

17. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Yes, but I forget how I did it. It was years ago, but I used to always access my iDisk from my work PC.

18. i robot

i robot Member
    Silver

Cool Chris just activated an account looks pretty simple to access idisk. Could someone tell me how i get the export to web gallery option to appear on my iPhone. The instructions on this on the Apple web site are crap.

19. i robot

i robot Member
    Silver

But how? do you get it to appear do you have to have the full account?

20. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think you need the latest version of iLife. I just bought my Mac in March, so I guess it added it to my iPhone. Honestly, I haven't used it, but just confirmed it is there.