Thoughts on Phil Schiller's tweet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chris, Mar 7, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Earlier today, Phil Schiller tweeted a link to a report on Android malware recommending people "be careful out there."

I get that Apple likes to make snarky comments here and again about the competitors. This one fell short for me.

Thoughts?

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I certainly think he made his point in a very classy and professional way. He was like a sniper--he hit his target quietly and with surgical precision, from a distance, never once mentioning any names. I bet he had a huge grin on his face when he tapped on "Send" on his iPhone 5S.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A professional way to say it would include no hints of bias and would simply state the facts. I'm not saying he should always be professional on Twitter; I'm just saying I disagree that it was. However, I don't follow him and haven't read the article, so I'm not sure of the context.

On a side note, the words "Be careful out there" always makes me think about a zombie apocalypse. Not sure why.

4. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot
    Gold

I also have not read the tweet nor any articles but I think it would be difficult to view a tweet about Androids as totally neutral no matter the content. Any tweet concerning the competition will impart some degree of snark. Was it being helpful or? It certainly isn't a news flash the Android os is vulnerable to malware.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There was no bias and there was no mention of any company names whatsoever in Phil Schiller's words. Phil Schiller simply urged the public to be careful and posted a link to a report (you can view it here) prepared by a neutral third party named "F-Secure." F-Secure is...

The report by this neutral third party stated facts. As an example, on page four of the report, one can find the chart below, which lists "threat families and variants received per quarter, for all quarters of 2012" for various mobile platforms, including Android, Blackberry, J2ME, Windows Mobile, Symbian, and yes, even iOS.
    becarefuloutthere.jpg
    If Phil Schiller had taken this graph and removed all mention of iOS from it, and tweeted it, then, and only then, could one claim there was bias. He didn't do this. He included all mentions of iOS, both good and bad.

If you ask me, it's Larry Page who reeks of bias. He should've tweeted a link to this report as well, in the interest of getting this important information in the hands of all the people out there who are using Android. He could've at the very least said something like "I pledge to make Android a safer platform for all of our users" and then included the link.

Incidentally, congratulations are in order to all the companies who had zero new mobile threat families and variants during three of the four quarters in the above chart. Go, Blackberry! YEAH!

My theory would be too much Walking Dead?

6. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot
    Gold

I see your point Rafagon. The article is not just about Android so, in that light the tweet seems totally inocuous.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I didn't read the PDF you linked, but I was just replying to the "be careful out there" statement and nothing more. It's a little dramatic.

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I agree, it makes you think you need to look over your shoulder when you walk out of the house... just incase you get eaten by a Zombie! Obviously.

9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Sounds like he's begging for an attack on iOS.

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

iOS is quite safe, but there will be a time when the hackers get interested...

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Phil is back for seconds.

#11 chris, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

This time, he wasn't so subtle. And I applaud him.

Android is often given a free replacement for a feature phone and the experience isn’t as good as an iPhone.” I don't understand the first part of this sentence. Am I the only one?

#12 Rafagon, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  13. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Maybe he meant Android is often given AS a free replacement blah blah...

Sent using iCafe app

14. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I liked Apple better when they didn't stoop to public badmouthing like their competitors do. It lacks class and comes across as defensive.

15. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I halfway agree. I think it's the context that this is done in though - since it's really nothing new. Steve Jobs trashed existing smartphones when he unveiled the iPhone. He essentially said netbooks were a pile of excrement when he announced the iPad. And he nearly always got in some good broadsides against rivals / potential rivals at Apple events.

I think it's the fact that Apple execs are now doing this outside of their own events that comes off as a lot less classy and a bit desperate.

16. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Yeah, those jabs at keynotes were great because Apple wasn't flapping at the lip to random reporters all year long. They were special events.