Thoughts on screen on all day.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I was wondering what you all thought about havving your iPhone screen on all day. There are apps out there like Clock & Calendar and my favorite Hue Clock that when plugged in you can set to not sleep your iPhone. I enjoy having Hue Clock on while in the office. Do you think that it is harmful to your iPhone to have the screen on all day? Thank you.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
iv heard that if you keep the screen on too long, say overnight every night, for a year it can cause dead pixels but im not sure how true that is

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Well, keeping your screen one all day will lower the length it'll be usable and work. Think about it, most screens are on and off throughout the day. The more you use it, the quicker it'll hit its end. If you want to use it as a clock all day, buy a watch or a standalone desk clock.

Joe

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Leaving the screen lit may, over time, dim the overall brightness, but I doubt you would see this in the usual life cycle of a mobile phone.

I'd be more worried about the heat. If it's a dim clock that's displaying most of the time, you're probably fine, but the brighter the image, the warmer your phone will stay. Heat will hamper battery performance over time, and I think you would see this much faster than any screen issues.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
i don't image it being very good for the screen or the battery... i personally would want to have my phone dying in 3 hours because i left the screen running...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think he was planning on keeping it docked and charging.

GSA190

Bronze
Oct 29, 2007
New York
I wouldn't keep my phone screen on all day. I assume it would kill the battery in a rush assuming you have the brightness of the screen higher than it should be.