Tim Cooks apology (Maps)

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by BigCiX, Sep 28, 2012.

1. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot
    Gold

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us everyday. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

Whilewe’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia mapsby going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook Apple’s CEO

http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Ouch, that had to hurt him--he actually suggested using the Google Maps webapp!

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

It's not so bad he needed to apologize... A simple statement of an update is on the way would have done the trick..

4. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

That's good to know but I can't help but think such a thing would not have happened if Jobs was still running the show. He was truly an amazing man.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

This decision to move to remove Google Maps wasn't something that happened overnight. I wouldn't pin this on Tim Cook.

6. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Ouch is right. Total fail.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

7. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

This is an interesting devlopment. I really can't imagine that an apology would have happened under Steve Jobs. I can't say one way or the other if this error would have happened under Jobs as I have no idea what led to the decision to remove Google Maps or the timeline in getting it done and gone.

With all of that said, I'm frankly really happy with having a turn by turn fully integrated navigation app in the form of Apple maps. I recently used it on a 1,100 mile trip and several subsequent local trips around town in several states and it performed flawlessly and allowed me to map to several locations in my contacts without so much as a hiccup. The group that is having the issue seems to be targeted in so much as it is a specific flaw in the program surrounding mass transit...which doesn't affect me so I'm good one way or the other (if they fix it or not in the short term).

8. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Hardly "total fail"

It opens, runs, isn't buggy and finds streets and points of interest all while enabling voice guided turn by turn. It's a gps app that works and integrates nicely with other applications and services on the phone. Saying it is a total failure is a bit of an overstatement in my opinion. Underestimation of the importance of select features, maybe.

9. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

Oh I agree I was talking about the release of the maps half baked (has worked fine for my uses so far)

10. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

This could have occurred under Jobs too. Look at the antennae issue that occurred with iPhone 4. While it was not a huge issue for everyone, for some it made the phone unusable. Jobs was arrogant and held there was essentially no issue since we were holding the phone wrong. WTF.
    Nobody is perfect, should it have been more polished yes, but at least Cook was stand-up enough to admit the error and they are trying to fix as fast as possible. I have more respect for this than what Jobs did.

As we all know with GPS apps it will take time, unfortunately.

11. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Oh I see.

So what you're saying is that Apple's maps app isn't ready for prime time. OK... lol

12. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Not quite ready for primetime I can buy in to because it doesn't work perfectly for all people under all circumstances. Total fail was just a bit over the top for my taste considering it works perfectly for my needs and frankly, quite a few others that use it more as a convetntional GPS device and not a subway station walking map app.

13. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I agree with Total Fail. Both the App and the apology, which was shallow and pathetic. This did happen on Cook's watch, as Apple's agreement with Google was to extend another year. And, it happened on Forstall's watch, who wouldn't be looking at any bonus this year on my watch. It is one thing to put out a Beta version, as in Siri. But call it what it is and don't try to sugar coat it with all the earlier accolades. Siri was a new product, we didn't have it before, so we could live with that and know what to expect. But don't replace an already existing superior product and degrade our best user experience with your experimentation and expect us to just hang in there with you while you bumble through at our expense. I'm glad to hear it is sufficient for the needs of some, but Google Maps was sufficient for all. There are too many 3rd party turn-by-turn Apps out there to use that as an excuse now. I have no doubt it will be a great product in the future - but it certainly isn't now! On the other hand, Google isn't clean here either. They now say they cannot put out a separate App until they enhance and upgrade their product. If that is the case, why weren't they doing that when they had Apple customers as a captive audience. They are only doing it now that they know they are going to have to actually compete. Whew! Glad I got that over with! :eek:

14. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

How about do it right or wait until its right?

Releasing that mess before it was right was a total fail -- especially for Apple!

15. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Pretty much ALL this ^^^^.

16. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

In my opinion Google Maps was woefully insufficient at least in it's iPhone implementation. I will grant you that this was some combination of Google and Apple's fault as well because they forced the Google map app in to its dumbed down state because of some ridiculous pissing contest among behemoth corporations trying to figure out who's is bigger but the features and capabilities were in it on other platforms. At the end of the day it is a map, that on it's best day could tell me where I was. I know where I am. What I need is an app that can tell me how to get someplace and if I'm mobile, in a way that doesn't require me to be watching the screen and constantly interacting with it to ask it to change steps and let me read what to do next. I don't live in a city and like thousands of others, don't walk most places. I could care less about walking navigation, subway stations and bus stops in a GPS app. I live in a rural area and I drive a car which for me demands a GPS with voice. It is nice to finally not have to bring my portable GPS with me everywhere. So there, two posts on the topic and two completely opposite points of view. To your point about third party apps, why should I have to spend the extra money (which I had previously with Navigon and with Motion X) both of which leave a ton to be desired. I paid $80.00 for Navigon at the time and it has failed me with directions on a couple of trips and Motion X which is cheap, granted but slow, buggy at times and needs pretty steady access to data unless you have planned a trip and pre-downloaded the maps. Considering what I got with Apple maps, for free, it's stands a bit above either of the paid apps I have.

17. BillF

BillF New Member

Funny, but after reading the apology letter I did a little test here locally. I used the Nokia maps, Google Maps and finally the new Apple maps to locate a local restaurant located about five miles from my house. The results:

Nokia maps found the restaurant, but mapped it about a half mile the opposite direction from a turn than where it really is.

The much vaunted Google maps did not even find it.

The much maligned new Apple maps found and mapped it in exactly the correct location.

At least in this one test it worked much better than the other two. I am not saying it does not have problems as we all know it does, but a couple of things.

1. The other maps are not "perfect" either. I doubt seriously if any mapping or GPS app or program is as perfect as most everyone thinks this latest Apple offering should be right out of the gate. Gee, do you think Garmin (and I have a Garmin GPS on my motorcycle that I love) or any of the others were perfect with their first units and maps? And that is their one primary specialty!

2. Since I do not live in a metropolis I have no need for mass transit directions, so I could care less about it. If you need it all that bad you can probably find several apps that surpass what was available in the maps of IOS5.

No, I'm not an Apple fanboy; just a realist. Personally I think most of us obsess way too much over our smartphones (whatever the brand) and too many people spew way too much venom on those who prefer a brand other than the one the spewer prefers. It reaches the point where it seems the more venom the spewer spits out the more he is trying to convince himself he made the right choice. Does he really have that much doubt?

End of rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

...and this is where we disagree. As I've said in a couple of posts in this thread all ready, there is nothing "not right" about the current Apple Maps App from my perspective. If it functions for what I as a user need it for, I certainly have no complaints. Like Lon told me in his post, there are plenty of third party GPS apps out there that will likely do what you want, whatever that may be, go get one and don't use Apple Maps if it doesn't work for you. It was free, you didn't pay a penny for it so you're out nothing.

19. psylichon

psylichon Genius

People keep saying this. Jobs did apologize for "Antennagate" and offered free bumper cases as compensation.

20. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

That's fine. It seems to work OK for YOU. Apple has to please a whole lot more customers than YOU. A lot of people disagree with you and don't think its good enough for them! ;)

Don't see why Apple couldn't wait to do it right and avoid all this drama. Tim Cook seems to agree but is trying to close the barn door after the horse ran out.