Tim Cook's comments on bigger displays

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by chris, Feb 7, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'll hand it to him. He continues to get asked about a bigger display and he remains on message.

Here's today's comments:
    What we’ve said is that until the technology is ready, we don’t want to cross that line. That doesn’t say we’ll never do it. We want to give our customers what’s right in all respects – not just the size but in the resolution, in the clarity, in the contrast, in the reliability. There are many different parameters to measure a display and we care about all those, because we know that’s the window to the software.

From February, 2013:
    “You want a fabulous experience. If you look at displays, some people focus on size. Thre are a few other things that are important. Retina display twice as bright as OLED display. Many attributes, what Apple does is sweats every detail. I think we’ve got it. Not going to comment on what we do in the future.”

I find it entertaining when he refers to 'junk products.':D

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Interesting. It sounds to me like they aren't not going to make the size bigger, but may not do this right now. Have there been real information on iPhone 6 yet? All I have seen are rumors.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Not surprised. Apple has always been very secretive and isn't known to give details or hints on upcoming products. I think we'll see a bigger screen this fall.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If Apple does unveil the rumored 4.7" screen, it would mean they found a technological solution for the retina/resolution problem. I don't see them compromising quality just to appease the "make it bigger" crowd, of which I'm a member. My fingers are crossed.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Android phone makers have figured it out; why not Apple? My HTC One had a gorgeous 4.7" display with 1920x1080 resolution with a pixel density of 468ppi.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

IDK. They probably have. I don't see how a retina screen would be more of problem with screen size resolution than the Android Amoled variety. Cook's remarks still leaves us guessing. They either are not ready or they just don't want to spoil the big on stage announcement. They do seem to enjoy those.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

8. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Yet that is what they did with the first iPad mini. No retina. That's compromising quality to get a cheaper small iPad out there.

9. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I think there is little doubt the 6 will have a bigger screen. Apple is smart enough to know they have to do SOMETHING in this regard right now. Which leads me to ask, wtf is Cook talking about?

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

What Apple did with the original iPad mini was an effort to stay competitive with the competition. Could they at that time have put in the retina screen? Maybe. IDK. But they should have, and they know it. I don't think they'll make that mistake with the iPhone. If they make the larger screen, I doubt there would be a compromise of quality.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think they see the lack of a big-screen option yet as a mistake. I think they've known for quite a while that adding one would make the iPhone even more profitable. It's not like they aren't selling many iPhones and poor sales made them realize they have to do it out of desperation. They have one of the best selling phones on the market despite it only being available in one size. They still can't keep up with demand for the first two months after launch. I don't see any reason why adding a bigger screen to the line up would comprise quality.

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

What I'd hate to see is what they pulled with the first mini, no retina. Imagine if they come up with the iPhone 6 no retina with the 6s making a modest upgrade and adding retina... You'd see a lot of angry costumers, yes costumers because they'd still buy it :D

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Never happen (in my opinion).

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I hope so :(

15. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Actually when set to Auto Brightness the Note 3 is easily the brightest display on the market, despite being an OLED. It hits 660 cd/m2

16. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor
    Bronze

I just hope Apple give us a choice of screen size. Having been an iPhone user since the first "3", and with no intentions of changing brands, I prefer the size of the "4" "4s" for convenience. I don't carry a bag or purse (it's a guy thing). I don't wear suits with deep pockets. I want a one handed phone, period. I have a brilliant Google Nexus 7 and an iMac for all the other stuff.