Time Capsule compatible with Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aknightstale41, Oct 3, 2011.

1. aknightstale41

Gold

Am thinking of picking up a Time Capsule, but on the Apple site says its compatable with Leopard and snow Leopard but does not mention Lion, does anyone know if it works with Lion? And can i remove my current router and make Time Capsule my present router to hook up all my computers to? Last question, do i need to partition Time Capsule to store my PC backup in half and my Macbook pro on the other half...Thanks for the help guys.

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'm sure it's compatible with lion. The Time Capsule can be configured to be your router. You do not need to partition the Time Capsule at all. In fact, the last time I used a time capsule, it is not possible to partition a Time Capsule unless you're a terminal wiz.

That being said, I don't recommend Time Capsules. They're quite expensive for what they are, and the router part of mine died shortly after a year. Additionally, there are way better routers out there than Apple's, and some even have the ability to hook up an external hard drive for time machine.

3. aknightstale41

Gold

Thanks Hip, yes the exspense might be the deal breaker for me, not sure yet, i just like the idea of backing up my PC and Mac wirelessly, and my external hard drive just died so i need something pretty soon...did you get a recent model time capsule? Im not sure but they might be redesigned according to an Apple tech i talked to...am on the fence.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I had the first generation, so I guess they could have improved them since then. But I've had enough problems with Apple's other networking gear to not really want to use it anymore. Especially for something as important as backing up data.

5. AdrianCubed

AdrianCubed Zealot
    Gold

Note: Time capsule doesn't work (or is a massive hassle) to setup with BT internet. (if you are in the UK).

6. aknightstale41

Gold

Good tip, thanks AC.