TinyUmbrella, saved blobs or not?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

btb655

Dec 7, 2012
I've just got this iPhone 3GS already on IOS 6.0.1, never been jailbroke before and I'm hoping to do so. My first step was to load TinyUmbrella and save SHSH and go from there, though I'm not sure if they are saved or not. The logs seemed to say I was too late as they weren't signed any more, though it also looks like they might be saved, see uploaded image.

The 'saved' SHSH files I have are "2660564759950-iphone2,1-4.1.shsh" at 5.82 KB and "2660564759950-iphone2,1-6.0.1.shsh" at 3.77 KB

So I just wanted to ask if I do have proper SHSH files saved or not?

Capture1.PNG

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
It's always a good idea to save your SHSH blobs....
Looking at the picture you have managed to save your blobs...

btb655

Dec 7, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. Are the file sizes OK too? Just that the logs said SHSH weren't signed anymore and couldn't be saved? Its all new territory for me so wanting to be sure.
Also, looks like I can downgrade to IOS 4.1 to do a tethered JB, is that version to be recommended at all? I know I can't now go to 5.1 which would be preferred, and 6.0.1 would only be tethered now.

EDITED TO ASK: I don't if you can do this, but could I downgrade to 4.1, then be allowed to upgrade to 5.1.1 and then jailbreak ?

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
The ONLY firmware you can install is 4.1 and 6.0.1 as they are the only blobs you have saved...there is no way to bypass this.
If you are lucky enough to own an iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom you can jailbreak Untethered on 6.0.1 (which is the preferred state)..... unlike everything else which can only manage a Tethered jailbreak for now.

An easy way to check, is to use a tool called iDetector (direct download)....this will tell you if your iPhone is Old or New Bootrom....

btb655

Dec 7, 2012
Thank you, I have the new bootrom, so understand what you are saying.

I've done a tethered jailbreak on 6.0.1 and booted a few times now and confident about that process. Battery is in good shape so not likely to run out on me unexpectedly. First time it booted after jailbreaking redsn0w (using just boot), came up with an error about not having a plist (I think that was it), for the phone, but a quick search got me out of that problem.

Thanks for the advice, I've also had a good read around the forum and saved me asking things I didn't know before.