Tip for cleaning vibrate switch

optoson

Aug 6, 2008
Here is a tip that I found worked quite well.

I have a White 3g phone, and I noticed that there was tons of dirt accumulating in the vibrate switch of it, so what I did was I used the "Sim remover tool" and covered it with the cleaning cloth, and worked away inside the switch below and above it depending on which mode you have it on. Be careful not to puncture the cloth though, as the tool is pretty sharp.

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
Nice tip , Im gonna go try it right now, and welcome to the forum !

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I like this tip. Nice contribution for your first post... stick around!

optoson

Aug 6, 2008
Hey no problem, I was getting tired of trying to get like an edge of my shirt or something to clean that out, so I tried that and it worked pretty well. I've been lurking since I got the 3g back on July 11th, just haven't found anything to post till this thread :)

rmfnla

Bronze
I use an old toothbrush dipped in rubbing alcohol.

Keep the switch pointed toward the ground so no alcohol runs into the phone; wait a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate and you are good to go.

Welcome to the best forum on the 'net!

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Does your vibration switch really get this dirty? I have V1 phone and never cleaned it once and it looks fine.

optoson

Aug 6, 2008
It got mildly dirty there after almost a month, but I have the White casing so that might contribute to it a little as well.

tagore

Aug 13, 2008
If you power the phone down, a little excess alcohol shouldn't do any damage and it won't linger for too long. I get foundation residue on mine so I spray it all over with the stuff I use to clean my laptop screen and then buff it all off.

If that part of the phone is getting that dirty (sweat? pocket lint?) you might consider getting a silicone case. The stuff that gathers around the seams also works its way inside and eventually causes issues. Kinda depends on how long you plan for the phone to last. :laugh2:

Geo

Bronze
Mar 9, 2008
If you power the phone down, a little excess alcohol shouldn't do any damage and it won't linger for too long. I get foundation residue on mine so I spray it all over with the stuff I use to clean my laptop screen and then buff it all off.

If that part of the phone is getting that dirty (sweat? pocket lint?) you might consider getting a silicone case. The stuff that gathers around the seams also works its way inside and eventually causes issues. Kinda depends on how long you plan for the phone to last. :laugh2:

How long for the phone to last?!?!?1
I want it to last forever!
My first generation iPhone had no problems with dirt in the vibrate button. Of course a good case helps! You can check out my case review from the cover page of this website (INcase Leather Sleeve).
Well, I would not use anything metal (even if it was covered with a cleaning cloth - because there is always the possibility of sharp metal object poking through!)
Try a tooth pick. Soft wood (virgin whire birch) is soft and inoffensive to your iPhone or anyother crevases you wish to clean and/or remove dirt.
Geo

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
hey thanks for the post...and welcome to EiC :D
also, for those of you who really want to give your phone a really thorough clean, purchase the iKlear spray bottle and the special cloth. it makes my iPhone look good as new! just another tip for those of you who like keeping your iPhone clean.