"Tip" is the best tip calculator I've seen and it's free

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
"Tip" (not to be confused with "iTip") was just released and it is very good. Although not featured in the "iPhone Tip Calculator Smackdown" that was posted on the EiC homepage a few days ago, I bet if it had been available back then, it would have won the smackdown. It is elegant and simple.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
"Tip" (not to be confused with "iTip") was just released and it is very good. Although not featured in the "iPhone Tip Calculator Smackdown" that was posted on the EiC homepage a few days ago, I bet if it had been available back then, it would have won the smackdown. It is elegant and simple.
I'll definitely check it out and update my article.

Thanks.
Chris

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Very cool app, thanks for finding it. I'm impressed with all the features, but I wonder how many people pay a "mirrored" amount?

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
who needs a tip calculator? not being rude, just curious. i eat at restaurants around 3-4 times per week and i have never needed a calculator to tell me how much to tip my server...

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
who needs a tip calculator? not being rude, just curious. i eat at restaurants around 3-4 times per week and i have never needed a calculator to tell me how much to tip my server...
I agree. It's not rocket science but I guess to each his own.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Very cool app, thanks for finding it. I'm impressed with all the features, but I wonder how many people pay a "mirrored" amount?
I don't understand the "mirrored" amount function, what does that even mean?

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
TIP$ is the best tip calculator in my humble opinion. Fun and easy to use.

Now I just need to figure out why I NEED a tip calculator.

;)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Makes it easy to calculate different tip percentages with ease and split the bill depending on your party.

Not for everyone, but useful to many. I went to dinner last night and didn't use any of my 10 iPhone Tip Calculators --- my father (who paid) shares your opinion on the need for this type of app.;)

Last edited:

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
It's more useful for larger parties, as Chris said.

Mirrored appears to let you pay an amount that's a mirror of itself like $23.32 or $31.13. It will even split the bill up such that each person pays a mirrored amount. I guess it's used in some circles, but I've never heard of it either.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Makes it easy to calculate different tip percentages with ease and split the bill depending on your party.

Not for everyone, but useful to many. I went to dinner last night and didn't use any of my 10 iPhone Tip Calculators --- my father (who paid) shares your opinion on the need for this type of app.;)
makes sense, thank you for explaining:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
It's more useful for larger parties, as Chris said.

Mirrored appears to let you pay an amount that's a mirror of itself like $23.32 or $31.13. It will even split the bill up such that each person pays a mirrored amount. I guess it's used in some circles, but I've never heard of it either.
Ok.... it "makes sense" now, but I still don't understand why that is important or useful or anything!

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Ok.... it "makes sense" now, but I still don't understand why that is important or useful or anything!
The reason "mirrored" amount is included is to make sure that your waiter/waitress isn't "skimming" anything off the top. For example, if you went by the mirrored amount of $65.56 and the amount on your receipt was $63.06, you would know something was up

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The reason "mirrored" amount is included is to make sure that your waiter/waitress isn't "skimming" anything off the top. For example, if you went by the mirrored amount of $65.56 and the amount on your receipt was $63.06, you would know something was up
I must be really stupid here because I still don't get it...

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I must be really stupid here because I still don't get it...
K, say your bill with tip was $65.56 and you paid $65.56...then when your waiter came back with your receipt, you saw that it was for $63.06, not the $65.56 you had coughed up. Where did your $2.50 go?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
K, say your bill with tip was $65.56 and you paid $65.56...then when your waiter came back with your receipt, you saw that it was for $63.06, not the $65.56 you had coughed up. Where did your $2.50 go?
Ok....but why does the amount have to be mirrored? You could equally give the same situation with a nonmirrored amount.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I thought the same thing when I first read the thread title and when I see those apps in the store. But anyway, it's best to just live and let live and be thankful for having a brain that doesn't struggle with numbers. I'm sure we struggle with things the less mathematic minded folks don't.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
i believe the mirroring idea is used more when checking your credit card bill. if you always settle restaurant bills at a mirrored amount, you'll be able to skim through your monthly statement and see if you got ripped off. restaurants are notorious for "adjusting" tips left on credit cards, so...

in general, most people wouldn't find a tip calculator useful in their personal life. you tip what you think is right. however, when you're paying a large tab on a corporate card, it's better to adhere closely to 15-18% tipping standards. have a coupla drinks and try calculating 18% on a $2,000 bill...

iFerd

Jul 17, 2007
Right. And I've never used it either, but it is intended to make it easy for you to review your credit card statement for tip fraud. If a meal amount isn't mirrored, somebody fiddled after you signed the slip. But of course, you then need to be religious about saving your credit card receipts.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Same here, miggs. I tip based upon my server's job performance. Better service, better tip.