Tips and suggestions for sharing music, media on external drive

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've got all my music and videos within iTunes on my main hard drive. In advanced, it's located under my username: Music: iTunes: iTunes: Music (not sure why the duplicate in the path). I have keep iTunes music folder organized.

Anyway, I'd like to move all of my media to either an external drive or one of my other internal drives. Ideally, I'd like to be able to share this music with my Vista/Windows 7 installation. This would allow me to use AppleTV when on the Mac side and XBOX 360, Windows Media Center, etc. on Windows 7. I'm also thinking of test driving the Zune HD, so will need access to my music on the dark side.

Is this as easy as moving that folder to the external and pointing iTunes to the drive. Then in Windows, point whatever it is I'm setting up to use the external drive for music, videos?

I just think would be ideal to have one drive for my media and allow it to be shared across any platform I'm using, which then would allow me to share throughout my house via xBox, Apple TV or WMC.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Though I've never done it personally, it should work. I don't have any network drives, so I can't test it out.

But... if you move all of your media to an external/network drive, then go in and edit your iTunes library .xml file to point to said drive, it should work. Then just copy the .xml onto all of the computers and you should be good to go.

As long as every drive has access to the drive, it should (in theory) work just fine. The only potential issue I see is the iTunes authorization limit of 5 computers (if you have more than that)

Let us know how it works out! :eek:k:eek:k