Tips And Tricks

T-HAN

Bronze
May 11, 2007
Lets set up a sticky where people can post the tips and tricks they have learned. Please explain it so that everyone can understand it. Please no "...then you take the 23psz and configure it to the 2006 standard according to the wp37284 format...":confused:

invincible569

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I got one..

if you tap twice at the very top of the screen when you are internet browsing, it will take you to the very top instead of having to scroll all the way up.

mikef1182

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I got one..

if you tap twice at the very top of the screen when you are internet browsing, it will take you to the very top instead of having to scroll all the way up.
Hey thanks! I was wondering if there was a quick way to get to the address bar.

invincible569

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Hey thanks! I was wondering if there was a quick way to get to the address bar.
No problem. Another setting I use is to change the font size to the smallest size. I can read more when Internet browsing. When I want to hit a link, I unpinch (expand) that area and the link will come up very large. This is a personal preference.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Instead of posting the full address of internet sites into bookmarks, I post the equivalent RSS address instead into the Apple's RSS reader and save that as a bookmark. It allows me to quickly see if there's anything there of interest (even on an EDGE network) instead of downloading the whole homepage. And clicking just brings up the relevant link.

invincible569

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Some people may not this one, but in order to fully do a cold shutdown... hold down the top right button and the "Home" front button for 6 seconds. Push the top button to power it back on.

BWGrapher

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
actually....

I got one..

Actially, once. Not twice.
if u touch the bar once which shows you the clock, safari will bring you all the way up

BWGrapher

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Some people may not this one, but in order to fully do a cold shutdown... hold down the top right button and the "Home" front button for 6 seconds. Push the top button to power it back on.
That's for the reset. If you just want to shut down, you just need to press and hold sleep/wake button for 6 seconds.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
i'm sure others have discovered this, but if you keep your browser in landscape mode and need to post a message you can type on the landscape keyboard...it's how i post all my messages on here.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Know what bookmarklets are? They are short javascript scripts you store in a bookmark. Well, they work on the iPhone. They can give you a lot of control over the browser. You can do things that you can't otherwise do on the iPhone, like open up a clone/popup of the current window, turn off images, erase cookies for the current webpage, etc.

This is the closest thing to hacking the iPhone that I've seen so far that actually works.

Look at my thread about it for instructions:
Bookmarklets work!
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/bookmarklets-work.3387/

Last edited by a moderator:

BWGrapher

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
mise type correction..

If you cancel 3 times iPhone's miss typing correction feature for one word, the word will be on the dic. So, it will not bother you.

================
Adding : Sorry wrong information..
After post, I tested it, it didn't work.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Magnifying Glass -

If you are in notes, or composing an e-mail, or typing a web address, or adding a contact and you need to move the cursor in the text itself:

Double click on the cursor and hold down your finger on the second click. A magnifying glass will come up showing you a zoomed in view of your words and the cursor. You can now place the cursor easily where you want.

Works GREAT if you've typed a whole paragraph or long web address and need to go back and correct or change something!

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Magnifying Glass -

If you are in notes, or composing an e-mail, or typing a web address, or adding a contact and you need to move the cursor in the text itself:

Double click on the cursor and hold down your finger on the second click. A magnifying glass will come up showing you a zoomed in view of your words and the cursor. You can now place the cursor easily where you want.

Works GREAT if you've typed a whole paragraph or long web address and need to go back and correct or change something!
sweet, I'll have to use that tool... When I get mine... :sick:

lol, keep these tricks and tips coming! I like, I like.

BWGrapher

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Magnifying Glass -

Actually, not double click.
Just tab once and hold, then you will have magnifying glass.

invincible569

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Here are some others I posted on different threads but would be helpful if it was all centralized into this thread.

Tapping when Web Browsing
As some of you know, tapping once on the top of the screen takes you back to the very top which is helpful. Well I've been trying to figure out why some tapping is magnified more than others. From what I have been experiencing, its about where you tap. The Cell you are tapping into, lets say on this forum.. the smaller the cell, the larger it will magnify. For example, tap on the replies column and you will see that it magnifies to the max. Now tap on the left side where there is a thread and it will fill up to that cell size.

Moving Icons
You can move the icons! BUT... not on the home screen. You can move them under the ipod section. That way you know what the feel of it is. Go to Ipod, then More, now Edit. Now drag your icons all around. You can also do this in the Phone section.

Battery Life
After unplugging my phone from 7am-9pm, I had 3/4 bar available. In order to achieve this I did the following... Charge your phone from the included Wall jack until the battery par shows a wall plug symbol. Turn off Wi-Fi, but if you are a home user, set it up to always connect to your home. Anytime you go elsewhere, manually connect to Wi-Fi. Turn off Bluetooth if you don't use it. Set screen to Auto Brightness as it will become more dim by knowing the lighting situation you are in. Push the Sleep button when not in use. The first day I got the unit, I was disappointed with the battery life. But as someone else stated, it may of lost some of its charge during the wait process just like other rechargeable batteries do.

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Battery Life
After unplugging my phone from 7am-9pm, I had 3/4 bar available. In order to achieve this I did the following... Charge your phone from the included Wall jack until the battery par shows a wall plug symbol. Turn off Wi-Fi, but if you are a home user, set it up to always connect to your home. Anytime you go elsewhere, manually connect to Wi-Fi. Turn off Bluetooth if you don't use it. Set screen to Auto Brightness as it will become more dim by knowing the lighting situation you are in. Push the Sleep button when not in use. The first day I got the unit, I was disappointed with the battery life. But as someone else stated, it may of lost some of its charge during the wait process just like other rechargeable batteries do.
I plug my iPhone into the wall every night, and I have never seen a wall plug symbol. Just a battery symbol that looks to me like it is full. Do I have a defective battery?

fredthedog

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I plug my iPhone into the wall every night, and I have never seen a wall plug symbol. Just a battery symbol that looks to me like it is full. Do I have a defective battery?

The plug symbol is IN the full battery. There are 2 options while your phone is plugged in. Full Battery with Lightning bolt means it is charging. Full battery with Plug symbol means its Full.

kidapollo

Jul 1, 2007
The plug symbol isn't in the big green battery when plugged in, it's up in the corner, where the little battery symbol is all the time. When the iPhone is charging, it will have a little lightning bolt in that smaller, white battery. When it is fully charged, it changes to a plug symbol.

How are you all handling charging? Are you plugging in each night or are you waiting until the iPhone runs low before plugging in? I was thinking about the 1,000 or so charge limit that Apple claims we should get before seeing any performance decline .... and that's almost three years of charging every day. I doubt anyone buying the iPhone in its infancy, as we have, is going to be using it that long. Something else will have come along by then. So, I'm not too worried about battery longevity.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Here are some others I posted on different threads but would be helpful if it was all centralized into this thread.

Tapping when Web Browsing
As some of you know, tapping once on the top of the screen takes you back to the very top which is helpful. Well I've been trying to figure out why some tapping is magnified more than others. From what I have been experiencing, its about where you tap. The Cell you are tapping into, lets say on this forum.. the smaller the cell, the larger it will magnify. For example, tap on the replies column and you will see that it magnifies to the max. Now tap on the left side where there is a thread and it will fill up to that cell size.
Actually, the zoom feature when you double tap in Safari is simple, useful, and elegant: it fills the screen with whatever frame you tap in on the web page you're in. If you double tap on a larger frame, there will be relatively less zoom, since a larger frame will be filling up the screen. If you double tap on a smaller sized frame in a web page, it will zoom in more in order to fill up the screen.

I think it's really well thought out, and pure Apple. :)