Tips And Tricks

E

ExpertIPhoneGuy

Just keep on typing your "slang" over and over again, and the iPhone will eventually become accustomed to the way you talk.

for example, "I'm into hip hop so i be talkin like dis and junk yadig?"

and the iPhone will eventually conform it's thought process to the way you speak. Pretty awesome huh?

Mac Insomniac

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
To save valuable battery time close out apps you are not using by holding down the home button for 8 secs. This will close out the app thus saving you battery time.

The two apps that eat up the most battery are: Mail / Safari

kycophpd

Bronze
Just keep on typing your "slang" over and over again, and the iPhone will eventually become accustomed to the way you talk.

and the iPhone will eventually conform it's thought process to the way you speak. Pretty awesome huh?
Not exactly the way it works.

After you type the same word twice and don't take the suggested spelling, it remembers the word you type by adding it to the dictionary.

Perhaps they could have added a question in the activation process to ask if you spoke like an educated adult or an uneducated gang member or a child and then adjust your dictionary to reflect it.

Dis b I's 2 cent, sorry if you don't like it

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Not exactly the way it works.

After you type the same word twice and don't take the suggested spelling, it remembers the word you type by adding it to the dictionary.
It does it on select words for some reason. I don’t know why this is. I also speak a different langauge and i use the word "sa" and no matter now much i type it in it will always suggest "as" It has been bothering me a lot because I'm having a difficult time typing as it is not remembering everything.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
When i set my phone to vibrate and silence my ringer, etc. it virbates when it rings, but then I get no vibrating alert when i get a text, email, etc. Does anyone know how to set it so all notification sounds are off, but it will vibrate for an incoming call, text, voice mail, email, etc?
Leave the ringer switch on, go to settings and set "Ring" mode volume to zero (far left) and vibrate on (and all the text, vmail, email etc. settings to on as well).

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Or, learn how to write English properly and don't worry about slang. Your readers will appreciate it. You will look better.

jacjac2

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Texas
For Wi-Fi, I learned today that I should have been picking up school Wi-Fi and was not getting good reception. So I just over road the request by clicking on other but typing in the same wi-fi name and up comes good reception.

RTpics

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Malibu CA
when you check your email, before you read the whole message look at all your messages in that email box, and swipe on the headers/message a DELETE button will appear so you can delete without reading the whole message

LESLIEx317537

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
That was mentioned already, but thanks for reminding us. :)
What we really need from Apple is a read/read all feature if you swipe right to left. And delete/delete all if you swipe left to right depending on what email page your on.

I got a few more tips:

Dialing AT&T 411 will cost you money. Use Google 411 instead.
Dial from any phone
1-800-GOOG-411
(1-800-466-4411)
And it's free. Google doesn’t charge you a thing for the call or for connecting you to the businesss. Regular phone charges may apply, based on your telephone service provider.

Don't leave your iPhone plugged into your computer while it is off. It may actually drain the battery. (This is in the online pdf manual) Some PC's have USB ports that stay powered so you can charge devices off them still. Mine is one of them which is nice, so I don't have to worry about that.

To chat since iPhone didn't come with iChat use the Safari browser and try a service like iPhone.beejive.com
It works pretty well, but too bad at the Home Screen you can't see new or how many messages.

PS: You can use this post to access the services listed above. Just click the number or link in Safari on the iPhone.

GeoBau

Jul 14, 2007
This is my favorite trick:

When you want to make a period or comma, instead of tapping the .?123 key and then pressing the period, tap and DRAG your finger from the .?123 key to the desired number/symbol. You can add commas and periods without ever having your finger leave the phone.

G

teakan

Jul 19, 2007
How to get past a non-responsive LCD slider when someone calls

When you want to make a period or comma, instead of tapping the .?123 key and then pressing the period, tap and DRAG your finger from the .?123 key to the desired number/symbol. You can add commas and periods without ever having your finger leave the phone.

G

GeoBau - That's an awesome tip!

As for the non-responsive LCD slider problem, I found a solution until a new firmware comes out:

HarleyS said:
I will go to slide the lock and it will be really delayed. I will slide it and then about 2 seconds later it will go. THen the buttoms will be a bit delayed...
Mine does exactly the same thing. However I found a trick to force the screen to respond.

If someone calls you and the LCD slider won't respond, slide it anyway. Then press the "Home" button. You'll see the slider "jump" to the end and you can answer the phone!

If I turn the phone on using the "Power" button then the slider is non-responsive until I again press the "Home" button. If I turn the phone on using the "Home" button then the slider responds just fine.

Not sure if this is a problem related to the "7" version LCD models (that's what I have). Dial *3001#12345#* on your phone and select Versions to find out if you have the "7" or "5" LCD model.

alpha_omega

Jul 19, 2007
You can't. Hotmail doesn't support POP. I believe you can use that if you pay the yearly fee on msn. I just made a new email account on gmail.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
Works equally

G
It works equally well for anything on that page... like the @ sign...

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Just read all 10 pages pf this thread. Lots of good tips, and a lot of crap, but the good tips are nice.

Here is one, may already be widely known but I didn't know it until just now.

When listening to music on the ipod you can press the microphone (the bulge thing on the right earbud cable) once to pause the music and twice to skip to the next song.

- SR