Tips For Better Smartphone Photography

imutter

Genius
Gold
2. Never use the mobile zoom. "It's terrible and the first step to an unsuccessful image. If you want to get close, zoom with your feet! Get close and your images improve," he said.
This is so true

psylichon

Genius
I'll add this:

After composing a shot and locking the exposure/focus, tap and hold the shutter for a moment to steady your hand. Release your finger to take the shot. The movement of tapping itself can cause blurry pics.

I'll add this:

After composing a shot and locking the exposure/focus, tap and hold the shutter for a moment to steady your hand. Release your finger to take the shot. The movement of tapping itself can cause blurry pics.
I also find using the volume up button can cause blurring. You will tend to use it one handed and are not as steady, usually.
Of course this could be case dependent as well.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Another good way to keep the shot steady when triggering the shutter is using the earpods/earbuds like a remote shutter release unless you have to use both hands to keep the phone steady.

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Another good way to keep the shot steady when triggering the shutter is using the earpods/earbuds like a remote shutter release unless you have to use both hands to keep the phone steady.
...and using earbuds has the advantage of silencing the camera click to help keep your people shots candid.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
I've noticed as well that holding steady and then giving the camera a few moments after you open the app to let the camera focus made my pics come out better.