Tips for Crystal Screen protector....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 14, 2007
After seeing a few minor scratches on my iPhone I went ahead and tried a few screen protectors. Most were junk. Difficult to put on w/o bubbles, and usually a bit crooked.
I went ahead and dumped the $15 on the Power Support Crystal Film set from the Apple shop. Seemed a bit much but I figured I'd already blown that much on the lesser versions... The "set" is a whopping two covers w/ an oh so fancy packaging that must make the landfills groan.
Put one on, it was perfect. No bubbles, durable, and less glare. (Oh, I bought the anti galre version) But... I guess my hand eye coordination is a bit shaky and I saw that it was crooked. I tried to lift it and put it back on but then there was lint under it. So I took it off and washed it. Yup, in the sink, warm water, with soap. But, as others discovered, how to dry the thing w/o getting more lint on it?
In the end I used a style of paper towel that is a bit oldschool. It's the brown paper version. They are harsh and coarse and actually pretty lint free. There was a bit of lint left so I- here's the only good tip I have for you- put a strip of packing tape against the protector. It lifted all the lint off and pulled free of the crstal guard easily. Took two tries but in the end I now have it on straight, and w/o any lint.
SO if you screw up your first try at getting it on there are a few thoughts on reusing the guard.

iversonjai

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
damn...i was tricked into believing that I don't need a screen protector...but after a week I already have a million little scratches on my iPhone (ouch!)...
i'll be getting that the next time I visit US...(whenever it is)....sounds easy to use...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
damn...i was tricked into believing that I don't need a screen protector...but after a week I already have a million little scratches on my iPhone (ouch!)...
i'll be getting that the next time I visit US...(whenever it is)....sounds easy to use...

what do you do with your phone? I've had mine for over a month and the screen is good as new.

kazaam

Bronze
Oct 8, 2007
This is a tip from me. I have applied tons of screen protector to many phone perfectly on the first try! Yes, seriously, the first try!

First: Clean off your phone screen with a clean cloth

Second: use dust blower (compressed air) to blow all the dust in hard corner (well, iPhone doesn't have any corner, so this don't apply on iPhone)

Third: use a piece of TAPE, stick it on your phone's screen and peel it off slowly. If you see any dust, use a piece of tape to pick it up, do not clean it with a cloth.

Fourth: apply your screen protector! DO NOT peel off the cover plastic completely on the screen protector! You peel it as you apply it to the phone screen. If there are dust during the process, use the TAPE to pick it up until its clear.

Thats it!

I bought the crystal clear screen protector from Apple and applied it with no problem, no bubbles

NOTE: it is OK to pick up dust with the TAPE on the screen protector's adhesive side!

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I have had mine since the release day and there are no scratches on it at all (on the face that is). I tried a screen guard, this one in fact, and found that lint migrated under it which in the end drove me mad so I removed it and now go naked. I use the DLO hip case thing since it is easy to carry at work that way (I hate stuff in my pockets) and when I exercise it is primo having it on the hip. I can snake the cord under my jersey when I bike and it is safe and secure and slightly protected from the elements.

32vtec

Oct 17, 2007
lol putting on a screen protector is like a science. I use a combination of tape, compressed air and a low dust environment. You can create a low dust environment by steaming up your bathroom. Scotch tape works great to pick up dust or use a can of compressed air.