Tips for fixing slow Internet on MacBook

bronxaccents

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
New York City
im not too sure whats going on but until the past 3 days the internet on my new macbook is going slow , the pages take awhile too load for some reason. i never had this problem before, usually its pretty fast. i use firefox if that helps. anyone know what might be wrong?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Are you clearing out your history,cache, and cookies every few days? How long have you had your MB.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Also, are you sure it's not the actual internet speed? Try resetting your router and your modem, that might help a bit.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Also, are you sure it's not the actual internet speed? Try resetting your router and your modem, that might help a bit.
Along with Youngbinks' comment, go to a internet speed test site to confirm your download and upload speeds.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
im new to a mac, ive only had it for about a month. where do i go to clear out the cache,history&cookie files?
You can clear history by going to history at the top of the safari page. At the bottom it says clear history. The cache can be cleared by using the shortcut option-command-,.This will bring a popup asking if you want to clear cache. Cookies can be cleared by going to Safari-Preferences-Security. There you will see a place to click that says show cookies. Click on that and then you will see remove all. Click that.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Or you can go into Safari > Reset Safari. That removes all of them.

- John

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Or you can go into Safari > Reset Safari. That removes all of them.

- John
I have notice the Reset Safari but didn't know what it would do, so never used it. Defiantly easier that my way.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have never cleared cache or cookies. Is this important? If yes, why?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
It's one of the first troubleshooting fixes to perform if you're experiencing weird internet problems, because it's easy to do, and often gets your browser back to working normally again. If you're noticing your browser slowing down some, or getting new popups, or certain websites blocking access, or anything like that, give it a shot.

Otherwise, if it ain't broke...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have never cleared cache or cookies. Is this important? If yes, why?
It is also good to do on your phone every so often. You can do that in settings-safari. At the bottom you will see the three places to clear.