Tips for New iPad Owners

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 23, 2011
We created this list of 5 steps to getting full enjoyment out of your new iPad, starting with the basics, thinking it might be useful to some on your site.
Sync!
Protect!
Recharge!
Explore!
Enjoy!

Sync!
First and foremost, the iPad is a computer on the go! Make sure that it is linked with the things you normally use on the computer: iTunes, email, photos, bookmarks, contacts, and calendar appointments. Connect your iPad to your computer’s USB port and register your iPad in iTunes. You can also sync your mail while your iPad is plugged in, or later under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars!

Protect!
I hope your loved one purchased you an iPad cover, too! iPads’ polished looks can also be fragile, so get a soft cover to protect your iPad from scratches. Apply a transparent screen protector by lining the protector up with the middle of your iPad and pushing out to the edges to avoid air bubbles. If you mess up, you can take a piece of tape, stick it on, pull off the protector and start again!

Recharge!
The iPad charges best with the adapter, rather than plugged into the computer. You should also let it go through one charge cycle per month: charge it to 100% and let it drain all the way. Things that drain your battery include screen brightness, 3G when you could be using wireless, automatic notifications about new mail or Facebook posts (called push notifications) and location services (such as pinpointing your location on a map or for local weather forecasts). These can all be changed in your Settings on the iPad!

Explore!
This is where it starts to get exciting: the App Store! A lot of your favorite bookmarks might also applications, like Twitter, Facebook and Pandora Radio. There are also applications unique to the iPad, like Flipboard or Catalog Spree, which Ellen Degeneres called “The Shopping App of the Year.” Both apps are eco-friendly, too: Flipboard lets you explore newspapers and magazines while Catalog Spree allows you to shop your favorite catalogs like JCPenny, Sears, Express and Nordstrom!

Enjoy!
Now that your iPad is synced, protected, charged, and loaded with your favorite apps, it’s time to kick back and enjoy it! You can even start shopping for next year and find something nice to get the person who got you your iPad!

Still need more tips for setting up your iPad? Check out our YouTube playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF57B1E5077E0E3C0

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Thanks for these tips. I love to protect my iPad purchase and any other iDevice. What would you suggest for a simple easy to use and inexpensive case for the iPad 2 that protects the screen? I do not like screen protectors, the ones that you have to apply.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
@moneymake79

I bought a Moshi Concerti case. It is soft and the come in purple and falcon gray. I , ,personally, liked the purple one.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/pu...VLVFJa1v3QceVfrbgLCQmlwuVWGbiCd1Q1GsDxawtKB8w gray

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/pu...8seqPN3h21MdYVvMc3Kgcl6FczoKgW1qEYh5qkQtrXD20 Purple
Can you use it while it's in the case? That's what I'm looking for, something to protect it from smudges etc, but also be able to use it at the same time.

I've actually seen this recently online while searching. I like how it props up into a stand. But does it protect the screen as well while in use? I was told it doesn't by an eBay seller.