Tips for new iPhone user?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
I've decided to buy an iPhone, which I will be doing in the next hour.

So I just wanted to know if there is anything I should know or do to my iPhone when I get it.

I don't plan on voiding my warranty, so avoid that if possible when suggesting.

Thanks.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You will love your purchase, and welcome to EIC!

Not modding (not voiding the warranty) is a good choice. Steer clear of it.

Get a good case for it when you pick it up. I recommend the black Agent 18 case.

Have fun!

- John

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Where can I find a picture of that case?

Also, I can't activate my phone yet because I ported my number which takes a while. So I can't do anything but make emergency calls. Is there a way to mess with the iPhone before I activate?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Where can I find a picture of that case?

Also, I can't activate my phone yet because I ported my number which takes a while. So I can't do anything but make emergency calls. Is there a way to mess with the iPhone before I activate?
Nope. Just have to be patient while the port process goes through.:mad:

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Nice case.

And apparently, the port process finished already. >_>

Wow, the call volume is real low. :-(

Nevermind.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Don't listen to them about modding it. Once you get comfortable with it, go ahead and give modding (jailbreaking) a try. A ton of us have done it and it's easy to go back to stock if you don't like it. Personally I could never go back to stock because I use too many of the third party applications and I love the way my iPhone looks. The stock look is just too plain.

I highly recommend this case, http://store.everythingicafe.com/content/accessories/4-22--2742.htm. I've got it and I absolutely love it. It gives you the protection on the phone if you want to slip it in your pocket, but also gives you a holster to wear it on the belt if you want. It's the best of both worlds and its' very slim.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I like the seidio case more then the agent 18. I cant stand the tree on the back on the agent 18.
http://store.everythingicafe.com/content/accessories/4-123--3002

Also, I had the case leech is talking about and it is very nice, it was just a little to bulky for me. Plus, with the Casemate, the top of the case (the opening) where you slide the phone in and out of got worn out quickly and started to feel a little loose.

I agree with Leech though, contrary to what Macman said, I would highly recommend modding. Ive had my phone modded since day 1 when I was on 1.0.2 firmware and I have never had a problem with it. And if worse comes to worse you can always restore the phone back to factory settings if you have to bring it in.
If you do decide to mod, just make sure you take extra care when doing it to not miss any steps. Read everything on this forum carefuly, then make your decision.

jtesnani

Dec 11, 2007
hello all...i've been looking around for a good forum for iPhone and this seems to be it! i've had mine for about 2 weeks now and i'm starting to really love it (have to admit that i was having second thoughts for awhile)...i came from a blackberry and was a heavy 3rd party app user, now with the iPhone, i read on AppleiPhoneschool.com that the jailbreak is only for 1.1.1 while mine is 1.1.2. is there a way to mod my phone? i really want to use third party apps...thanks!:laugh2:

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
hello all...i've been looking around for a good forum for iPhone and this seems to be it! i've had mine for about 2 weeks now and i'm starting to really love it (have to admit that i was having second thoughts for awhile)...i came from a blackberry and was a heavy 3rd party app user, now with the iPhone, i read on AppleiPhoneschool.com that the jailbreak is only for 1.1.1 while mine is 1.1.2. is there a way to mod my phone? i really want to use third party apps...thanks!:laugh2:
jt, you need to do some extensive reading on this forum. You will need to downgrade your 1.1.2 phone to 1.1.1, then jailbreak it, then install something I think is called OKtoPrep or something like that. Then upgrade through iTunes to 1.1.2, then jailbreak again.
Search these forums for 1.1.2 downgrade.