Tired and Frustrated

Aug 20, 2008
ok ...... *breathe*

I've looked through this forum and a few others with one question..... ok, maybe two..... :

1. Can i connect to my iPhone through my destop Mac WITHOUT WI-FI! (I only have a desktop and I'm not going to go and buy a laptop or drive for who knows how long just to get wi-fi) *arg!*

and

2. if so, what program do I use?

ANYONE? :mad:

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
so you want to connect your iPhone and access the files? are you jailbroken? the only program i know of is openssh and you have to be jailbroken for it and you have to have wifi.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
not sure what you mean. USB of course is connecting without wifi.. But if you mean for iTunes and updates, if your computer doesn't have internet, whether it's wifi or straight wired, doesn't really matter. But the info needs to come off the net somehow, right?

Or maybe you mean like a modem?

Aug 20, 2008
I have it connected to my comp through the firewire cable it came with and yes it's jailbroken.... I finally got it's IP address through work however I don't have wi-fi at home since i am on a desktop with built-in ethernet... i have wireless nothing.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
so what are the reasons you want to connect to your computer via any other options than firewire or wifi?

Aug 20, 2008
I want to access my iPhone files (to change alerts) through my desktop without having to have my iPhone hook up to wi-fi.....

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
nothing i know of can do that, gotta have wifi (openssh)

Aug 20, 2008
thanks for your response. :)

.. and I have to say, that's really stupid and sucks big time. (not your reply but the fact that it can't be done)

Anyone else have any idea's or know something we don't?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Aug 20, 2008
that's great! ..... IF i was on a PC..... That's good hunting on your part though. If you find the Mac version of that I'd ...... i'd ...... well, i don't know what i'd do....... ;)

Aug 20, 2008
Alright, i have a new problem now.... I'm at work and can connect to public wi-fi. I now use Cyberduck to connect and every time I do I get the "Connection failed. Operation timed out" message ...... wth?!

This isn't supposed to be this hard! >(

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Alright, i have a new problem now.... I'm at work and can connect to public wi-fi. I now use Cyberduck to connect and every time I do I get the "Connection failed. Operation timed out" message ...... wth?!

This isn't supposed to be this hard! >(
You need to set the iPhone autolock timeout to "never", otherwise the ssh connection will time out.

Go to: Setttings -> General -> Autolock, and select Never.

Don't forget to change it back after you're done, or you'll drain your battery like a mofo.

Aug 20, 2008
i have openssh loaded and when i follow the directions in cydia to go through terminal i STILL get "operation timed out" error.....

and yes i have my timeout set to never....

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I've mentioned this before but no one seems to care... :(

iPhone PC suite has limited capabilities with the 2.0 iPhones. I'm not sure if its capabilities will work for you, but you can access the file system without a wifi connection.

If this one works, then maybe some of the other 1.1.4 file system programs will work. They might work more fully than the iPhone PC Suite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 20, 2008
iPhone PC Suite... sounds like a pc program and not a mac program....

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Whoops. Sorry. I'm dumb. I think that there were other (mac) programs that could access the file system though. I wonder if they would work with the 2.0 iPhone.

Aug 20, 2008
no worries.... that's why i'm here... to find those Mac programs. It seems quite dumb to be able to access the files on a jailbroken iPhone through wi-fi only.....

Hopefully someone helps figure this out soon...