Tired of attacks against AT&T as being "dishonest" about the new iPhone price

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I agree flabyboy, $60 per month for internet is really expensive! I pay $35 for the fastest internet (DSL) that ATT offers in my area.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
The bottom line is: you can do whatever you want. But, it's bad form to complain about something that you aren't forced into.

Buying an iPhone 3G has certain conditions and if you do not want to meet them, there's no one forcing you to buy them.
But that's where you are completely wrong. I'm not complaining that I'm being forced to buy an iPhone, I'm complaining that in order to buy an iPhone I'm being forced to pay for a service that AT&T knows straightforward it isn't going to give me, yet they aren't even going to hesitate to tell me I have to pay for it to get the product which I desire for the features Apple gave it, not AT&T.

How would you feel if in order to buy a Mac you had to pay for DSL internet service even though all you would get is dial-up because of where you lived. - Yeah you could buy a regular PC but let's face it, when you want a Mac you want a Mac.

it's something between corporate greed and highway robbery to look at a customer in the face and say "if you want this great product you have to pay for a service that I'm not going to actually provide for you"

Doesn't surprise me from AT&T but Apple....

if tomorrow AT&T announced they were removing 3G service from your area and you are SOL and either need to pay the 3G tax and not complain or use the old phone and never upgrade how would you feel then about the new iPhone release?

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Why do you say this? Apple has no control over the plan pricing. People, everyone keeps forgetting that Apple is not the plan provider, simply a phone manufacturer. They are like Samsung, Sanyo, LG, Motorola, etc. They provide the phone, ATT subsidizes it or not and provides a voice plan and data plan. Apple just provides the phone, nothing else.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Why do you say this? Apple has no control over the plan pricing. People, everyone keeps forgetting that Apple is not the plan provider, simply a phone manufacturer. They are like Samsung, Sanyo, LG, Motorola, etc. They provide the phone, ATT subsidizes it or not and provides a voice plan and data plan. Apple just provides the phone, nothing else.
Homey! Hit me up, man! Did you figure out my email?

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
But that's where you are completely wrong. I'm not complaining that I'm being forced to buy an iPhone, I'm complaining that in order to buy an iPhone I'm being forced to pay for a service that AT&T knows straightforward it isn't going to give me, yet they aren't even going to hesitate to tell me I have to pay for it to get the product which I desire for the features Apple gave it, not AT&T.

How would you feel if in order to buy a Mac you had to pay for DSL internet service even though all you would get is dial-up because of where you lived. - Yeah you could buy a regular PC but let's face it, when you want a Mac you want a Mac.

it's something between corporate greed and highway robbery to look at a customer in the face and say "if you want this great product you have to pay for a service that I'm not going to actually provide for you"

if tomorrow AT&T announced they were removing 3G service from your area and you are SOL and either need to pay the 3G tax and not complain or use the old phone and never upgrade how would you feel then about the new iPhone release?
By the way, except for GPS and the ability to use the 3G network, you can get all the rest of the features of the 3G iPhone by upgrading to the new 2.0 software. It's just like upgrading the Mac in your house. You can choose to get a new mac that can take advantage of all the new features of Leopard, or you can just upgrade to Leopard. Some macs won't even be able to upgrade to Leopard, based on the specs of the hardware. Apple is not going to apologize for that, even if you need the new features and feel that Apple should in some way compensate you for keeping your old mac past it's "good until" date. Yeah, you don't have 3G in your area, great idea not to get a 3G iPhone if you are not cool paying $10 more for it. But as the moderator of this site John stated, he is in a state that does not have 3G, maybe will not have it for a long time, but feels justified paying $10 more per month for the features he is getting. So, buck up and pay the $10, or don't buy one and get (or keep) the v.1 iPhone and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
By the way, except for GPS and the ability to use the 3G network, you can get all the rest of the features of the 3G iPhone by upgrading to the new 2.0 software. It's just like upgrading the Mac in your house. You can choose to get a new mac that can take advantage of all the new features of Leopard, or you can just upgrade to Leopard. Some macs won't even be able to upgrade to Leopard, based on the specs of the hardware. Apple is not going to apologize for that, even if you need the new features and feel that Apple should in some way compensate you for keeping your old mac past it's "good until" date. Yeah, you don't have 3G in your area, great idea not to get a 3G iPhone if you are not cool paying $10 more for it. But as the moderator of this site John stated, he is in a state that does not have 3G, maybe will not have it for a long time, but feels justified paying $10 more per month for the features he is getting. So, buck up and pay the $10, or don't buy one and get (or keep) the v.1 iPhone and you'll have nothing to worry about.

I agree with you completely. Apparently people are forgetting that the v1 iPhone was on sale for nearly a year (before stocks ran out at Apple stores, still available in some AT&Ts) offering the EDGE data network. Now people realize they want the new iPhone but they don't want to pay for the advances that come along with it (3G) because they don't have 3G available in your area. If this is the case for you the v1 iPhone is still easily attainable.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
you really still aren't addressing the main problem I have with this. I'm perfectly willing to pay the price for features I may not even use, and I am fine with that as long as I am not using them BY MY CHOICE or if it was just a one time extra dollar amount. I'm being charged monthly FOR AS LONG AS I USE THE PHONE for a service that is PROBABLY NEVER going to actually be provided for me. For any businesss it would be proper practice in this case to either not charge me for that service or to actually give me what I'm paying for. AT&T knows it doesn't offer 3G in my area, they know they do offer EDGE in my area, yet they tell me to either pay for 3G or take a walk. I could understand if there was no alternative or if it would in some way be a burden to do it differently, but the fact is there is no reason why they couldn't offer an EDGE only plan for it for those who live in an area without 3G coverage. The fact that this isn't available is what I'm complaining about.

Basically the message I'm getting is I need to fork over an extra $360 over 2 years and be completely satisfied with receiving NOTHING in return for it.

For the record I have no problem with paying for SMS now, and I have no problem with paying more for 3G then EDGE before IF I would actually receive it. I'm not complaining about fees going up for provided services, I'm complaining about being required to pay fees for services that will not be provided.

And to those who keep saying I shouldn't bother to buy the phone then: I have many reasons for buying it. One is that my current phone is only the V1 4GB version and I want to upgrade the memory capacity. Two is that my brother is in need of a phone but has no money to buy one so me upgrading and giving him my old one is an ideal option. And three, I hate the sound issues with the V1 and that right there is enough reason for me to go to the new one.

I know how annoying it can be to read the posts of people who want to just complain about everything...but you really need to put yourself in my shoes here. I'm just trying to say that it is unfair for a businesss to require someone to pay for a service that the businesss is incapable of providing as a requirement to buy an innovative, revolutionary device produced by a different company. I'm ranting in hopes that enough people will agree with me that someone who has the ability to do something about that hears. If you have a problem with that then stop reading this thread or please provide a constructive response that will perhaps better the situation for everyone.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
you really still aren't addressing the main problem I have with this. I'm perfectly willing to pay the price for features I may not even use, and I am fine with that as long as I am not using them BY MY CHOICE or if it was just a one time extra dollar amount. I'm being charged monthly FOR AS LONG AS I USE THE PHONE for a service that is PROBABLY NEVER going to actually be provided for me. For any businesss it would be proper practice in this case to either not charge me for that service or to actually give me what I'm paying for. AT&T knows it doesn't offer 3G in my area, they know they do offer EDGE in my area, yet they tell me to either pay for 3G or take a walk. I could understand if there was no alternative or if it would in some way be a burden to do it differently, but the fact is there is no reason why they couldn't offer an EDGE only plan for it for those who live in an area without 3G coverage. The fact that this isn't available is what I'm complaining about.

Basically the message I'm getting is I need to fork over an extra $360 over 2 years and be completely satisfied with receiving NOTHING in return for it.

For the record I have no problem with paying for SMS now, and I have no problem with paying more for 3G then EDGE before IF I would actually receive it. I'm not complaining about fees going up for provided services, I'm complaining about being required to pay fees for services that will not be provided.

And to those who keep saying I shouldn't bother to buy the phone then: I have many reasons for buying it. One is that my current phone is only the V1 4GB version and I want to upgrade the memory capacity. Two is that my brother is in need of a phone but has no money to buy one so me upgrading and giving him my old one is an ideal option. And three, I hate the sound issues with the V1 and that right there is enough reason for me to go to the new one.

I know how annoying it can be to read the posts of people who want to just complain about everything...but you really need to put yourself in my shoes here. I'm just trying to say that it is unfair for a businesss to require someone to pay for a service that the businesss is incapable of providing as a requirement to buy an innovative, revolutionary device produced by a different company. I'm ranting in hopes that enough people will agree with me that someone who has the ability to do something about that hears. If you have a problem with that then stop reading this thread or please provide a constructive response that will perhaps better the situation for everyone.
Why don't you buy a 3G, call AT&T a month later and say that you gave the phone to your brother and that you're back on your V1 and to downgrade your data plan to the $20 plan?

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Why don't you buy a 3G, call AT&T a month later and say that you gave the phone to your brother and that you're back on your V1 and to downgrade your data plan to the $20 plan?
seems like a good idea to me, as long as 3g doesn't come to your area after you downgrade

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
think about it

I have mortgages, car payments, property taxes. The last thing I want is to add more to my monthly bill. A one time upfront cost is much better for me.

That said, I would have paid it if they had 3G in my area.

But...I convinced 5 other people to get v1 that would not have done it if it were 15 more per month.

That really makes no sense at all. You would rather give someone else the money up front and lose out on the earning potential of that money for years? Why not pull that extra money at the time of purchase and stick it in an account. This will in no way change your monthly bills (since you can pull from that account) but you will be earning interest on that money over time. People that understand, you need money to make money will do very well. If I offered you a 0% interest home loan would you turn it down even if you had the cash to pay for a home? I would hope you would take the loan and put that cash in an account to earn interest. This really falls in the same category of people overpaying thousands in taxes and they get a large refund at the end of th year. Uncle Sam just got an interest free loan! Don't you think it would have been better for that money to be in your account working for you!

I can't force you to make money...only tell you how:)
Of course, if we all wanted to really get to being independently wealthy, we would do away with unnecessary expenses like high priced phones.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
That really makes no sense at all. You would rather give someone else the money up front and lose out on the earning potential of that money for years? Why not pull that extra money at the time of purchase and stick it in an account. This will in no way change your monthly bills (since you can pull from that account) but you will be earning interest on that money over time. People that understand, you need money to make money will do very well. If I offered you a 0% interest home loan would you turn it down even if you had the cash to pay for a home? I would hope you would take the loan and put that cash in an account to earn interest. This really falls in the same category of people overpaying thousands in taxes and they get a large refund at the end of th year. Uncle Sam just got an interest free loan! Don't you think it would have been better for that money to be in your account working for you!

Of course, if we all wanted to really get to being independently wealthy, we would do away with unnecessary expenses like high priced phones.
haha i want you around when i start getting credit cards and student loans

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Thanks for the financial advice. And yes, thank you, I will take that loan. My rental property has been hell to refi.

And yes, I am not always logical with finances. I have no idea how much money I will make in any given month, so I appreciate the emotional impact of having lower monthly bills.

ScottNWDW

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
3G service may not be available today in your area, buit whose to say it won't beavailable tomorrow, next week, next month , or a year down the road. New areas are being added all the time, it's not something that happens overnight.

3Guser

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
3G service may not be available today in your area, buit whose to say it won't beavailable tomorrow, next week, next month , or a year down the road. New areas are being added all the time, it's not something that happens overnight.
That is very true. I don't have 3G service here yet but I was told by November we will. In fact some one else told me august but a ATT rep told me november.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
AT&T will still know what phone he's using. The IMEI number is linked. I've switched my wife's phone several time - everytime it showed online what phone she was using.

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007

How old are you? You sound like you are generation Y? Somehow you feel entitled to have a product made for YOU to solve your specific problem. That's not how a businesss operates. Apple decided to make a v2 phone that upgraded some features and fixed some bugs of the first generation.

ATT then decided to accommodate their plan for the extra data capacity that is sure to be used by tech savvy iPhone users. This phone was made for people with the ability to use 3G, to satisfy the need of a user that has the ability to attain 3G and wants it.

This phone was NOT made for someone who wants to buy a new phone for their brother, because their brother has no money and that someone wants to buy a new iPhone to upgrade and give their v1 phone to their brother. How about you buy him a V1 phone and keep your current one if you want him to have an iPhone so bad? Why doesn't he get a phone that is free with some plans since he doesn't have any money right now to buy a phone, and pay for basic phone and text service? I mean really, beggars can't be choosers.

All in all, yes, you are just whining. Everyone that has replied to you has covered your issues, but because of the entitlement factor you refuse to see the validity of their point, and then say what you said in the last post again. Get over it.

Buy a new iPhone if you want, and understand the cost of the monthly plan. If you want it THAT BAD then get it, even though you don't have 3G capability. If you cant handle the cost of the new plan THEN DON'T BUY IT, AND GET YOUR BROTHER A BASIC PHONE TO GET HIM GOING.

But please don't continue to make numerous long winded posts.

Thanks.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
AT&T will still know what phone he's using. The IMEI number is linked. I've switched my wife's phone several time - everytime it showed online what phone she was using.
I don't know, I've switched my phone before and they couldn't tell. I think it's still worth a try.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008

hmmm

ATT is not forcing u to pay for something that isn't provided. the 3G network is provided. along with tools that allow you to see what areas are covered by the network. if you feel as though it would not be beneficial for you to get 3G because you live outside the coverage area..then don't buy the phone.

just because YOU live outside of the current coverage area, doesn't mean ATT isn't providing 3G. at any point, you can drive to a larger city and get 3G coverage if you wish. ATT is expanding their 3G coverage as we speak (or post lol). its not an overnight process to instantly cover the US with new coverage. it takes time and money but it will eventually happen.

you are acting like ATT owes you something special just because you live outside their current 3G coverage. which is entirely not true.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT

Did you know that (as far as I know) AT&T can't offer only EDGE to a 3G phone? If they could, I'm sure they would give people the option. Since they can't only allow EDGE on a 3G capable phone, they can't just give you a $20 plan and make you pinky swear that you won't use 3G when your phone says you're in range. So they HAVE to charge you the price of 3G. Granted, I think it's stupid their network can't differentiate, but the fact remains they can't offer the $20 plan or everyone would figure out the trick and just downgrade their plan and get free 3G.

I also mentioned how you can call them and tell them that you gave your 3G phone to your brother so you need a 2G data plan for $20, that might work. It's dishonest because you could in theory still access 3G if you were in range, but I think it's fair if you are never going to use 3G anyway.