Tired of slow EDGE speeds?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 24, 2007
Stop covering the antenna.
haha, the black plastic area on the back of the phone is the antenna. Many people cover this up when the use the phone decreasing speeds by almost 50%

i was just holding my iPhone to see if it was true.
when my hand was over the antenna i had 1-2 bars of sevice.
when i adjusted my grip it shot up to 4.

just somthing interesting i read on cre.ations blog, maybe thats the problem for all these complaints? lol, just a hint

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i haven't found any truth to this, at least not yet.

do you think that maybe it also depends on where you live and how populated it is?

Sep 24, 2007
yeah it might have to do with location but when i cover it up it goes down to 2 bars then back up to for when i switch grip

EDIT: dude above me, i live in Hilton Head, lol weird

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
yeah it might have to do with location but when i cover it up it goes down to 2 bars then back up to for when i switch grip

EDIT: dude above me, i live in Hilton Head, lol weird
worked in Hilton head at golden bear for a couple of years. I'm a golf instructor and now teach at Southbridge in sav. Come see me!

Sorry not trying to screw with this thread.

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
worked in Hilton head at golden bear for a couple of years. I'm a golf instructor and now teach at Southbridge in sav. Come see me!

Sorry not trying to screw with this thread.
It works but it's inconsistent for me. Sometimes I will have 1 bar, take my hand off the back and hold it from the top only, and I shoot up to 4 bars - and othertimes it will have no effect.

Either way, it's a significant boost when needed.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
This has been an issue for years with all cell phones. I worked for VZW, AT&T/Cingular and Sprint PCS/Nextel and its always been the same thing, I saw people all the time come in and complain about reception. I would ask them, how do you hold your phone, and 90% of the people I asked would show me that they hold it and cover the antenna.

Its a great tip for some, and for others that isn't the issue. I do agree though, why put all the antennas in the bottom where its natural to hold the phone? I played around a bit for fun and did notice 1 or 2 bar difference, but in my area the signal is pretty good so my edge speeds average about 200 anyway.

Another great tip, use a headset as opposed to cradling the phone against you with your head and shoulder. Just another way that you kill the signal, and get a furious neck cramp!

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I lived off of coinstar when I was in college back in 98-99 hence the 99 after my screen name . That and my other nick name was already taken . My Cart, figure that one out . LOL

Halon X

Sep 23, 2007
So is it a "biologics" doing the blocking or should someone expect to see similar results with a protective rubber cell phone case encasing the phone?

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
It would be interesting if someone could develop a way to make the human touch enhance reception rather than impede it.

And I've noticed that when using EDGE that simply re-aiming the phone can have a dramatic effect on reception. Lying on my bed, aiming the antenna pad at the window has a huge positive effect on my reception.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Another great tip, use a headset as opposed to cradling the phone against you with your head and shoulder. Just another way that you kill the signal, and get a furious neck cramp!
also, the headset provides stability. the iPhone is WAY too slippery and thin(without any accessories) to use this technique. i tried it once and i damn near dropped the phone.

and i also just like the headset because i can be listening to my music and then take a call without missing a beat, thanks to the nifty button on the headphones.