TiVo app with new Roamio DVR

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by chris, Aug 21, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm a big TiVo guy, despite my last run in with them over a contract I supposedly signed. Who signs contracts for DVRs? I digress. I'm excited about the Roamio DVR. Not the name, but the functionality. The Pro and Plus models allow you to stream TV, recordings to any iOS device. Sorry Android, your support is coming in 2014. They offer 6-tuners, which allow for people throughout your house to use with their TiVo mini or iPhones, iPads. Previously to get this functionality, you had to buy a Stream box. Even for me, their product line had become confusing. Now it's crystal clear.

My current set-up consists of 2 TiVo Premiere XLs and 1 TiVo Premiere (which we really don't need, but has served us well in a pinch). Combined, it gives me 6 tuners. The problem lies with the management of recordings. I'll blame it on my wife, since she doesn't read this forum, but we have programs taping twice and then we miss programs. The TiVo Roamio is a beast, with 6 tuners.

All this comes at a price. $600 for the Pro model, with support for 450 hours of HD recording. A lifetime subscription costs $399. TiVo mini costs $99, with a $149 charge for lifetime.

Similar to new iPhones, us TiVo users enjoy a good resale market. I've got lifetime service on one of my XLs, so that might come close to covering the cost of the Roamio. All of this requires a bit of shuffling. We've got shows recorded all over the place. It might be time for me to cut bait on my 18 Storage Wars recordings.

Before anyone jumps in and says anything about how a DVR is cheaper and does the same thing, I will say to you that a Treo 800 does basically the same thing as an iPhone.

By the way, that iPad viewing extends outside of the home. I hear it's not as good as Slingbox, but it'll improve in time.

I see the iPad as being a great kitchen TV. Might be time to move from the iPad mini to full size.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I ended up opting for the Roamio Plus. For some reason, TiVo has made it insanely easy to upgrade the hard drive. You simply remove a few screws and drop in a new drive. I dropped in a 3TB drive with no problems at all. The software is on the motherboard.

The setup process is a bit long, due to cable card repairing with FIOS, but I had a willing rep to help me out. It took a few calls to TiVo from the Roamio to activate my box.

The TiVo app for iPhone and iPad was something I did not use often, but that's changed already with the Roamio. I can pull up my recordings, play them back or watch live tv. I worked on Sunday, but used the TiVo app to watch NFL Red Zone. It was awesome. No lag. It just worked. Last night, I wanted to make sure Survivor was taping. Picked up my iPhone, opened up the TiVo app and boom, it showed me shows that were being recorded.

I love this thing. The Mini works as advertised too, now I just need to unload my older Premieres. I thought I might use them, but there is no need, at all. The pressure test is Sunday nights and this box didn't flinch, recording 4-5 programs, while I had the game on. Brilliant.