Tivo & DVR's, newbie questions

LornaP

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
Michigan
Hello all,

I'm just starting to research DVR's and possibly Tivo. The main reason for needing some form of recording device is to record football games this season. I need to find something that is fairly simple to set up and use. From what I understand about Tivo is you have to buy the recorder than pay a monthly subscription. I would like to avoid the monthly subscription if a DVR is good enough for recording just one game at a time.

I have never used a DVR before and was wondering if they are easy enough to set to record, at an earlier time. I won't be at home when it would need to start. Any advice on where to start looking would be very much appreciated. I have looked around Amazon and see the prices for DVR's start at approx $100+

TYIA

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hello all,

I'm just starting to research DVR's and possibly Tivo. The main reason for needing some form of recording device is to record football games this season. I need to find something that is fairly simple to set up and use. From what I understand about Tivo is you have to buy the recorder than pay a monthly subscription. I would like to avoid the monthly subscription if a DVR is good enough for recording just one game at a time.

I have never used a DVR before and was wondering if they are easy enough to set to record, at an earlier time. I won't be at home when it would need to start. Any advice on where to start looking would be very much appreciated. I have looked around Amazon and see the prices for DVR's start at approx $100+

TYIA
Your cable or satellite provider will gladly lease you a DVR, but you will not be able to buy one for use on their service. You can purchase a TiVo DVR for use with cable. With the monthly fee, it's about the same price as you would pay your cable company for using their box.

I have (2) TiVo HD-DVR's -- both use 2 cable cards which I rent from Verizon for $2.95 per month. Total $6. I have multiple TiVo's, so I think my monthly cost is a bit cheaper than the $12.95. Not sure the exact number, but let's say it's $10 or $11. That's $16-$17 per month. Verizon charges $16.95 for a DVR rental.

TiVo is a Mac. DVR is a PC. TiVo makes things super easy. BTW, I also have a Verizon DVR and I'm not a fan. DirecTV's DVR is better than the Verizon DVR, but not as good as TiVo.

BTW, you can also find deals on refurbished TiVo HD's for $199.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I use DishNetwork's DVR service and it's worked flawlessly. $5/month

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
[/sarcasm on] You haven't lived until you've had a Comcast DVR [/sarcasm off].
I moth balled my Tivo Series I & III when I switched to Verizon in May but just saw a nice upgrade offer for my Series I that may have me going back since the Tivo HD supports external expansion storage. I wasn't ready to deal with the cablecard issues. Tivo is WAY better than the DVRs from either Comcast or Verizon.

YMMV

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Lol you really like that saying, don't you? :cool:
You caught me. OK, how's this,

"Typos are very important in all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland

I'm thinking of using this as my sig .... ;)

BTW, I love your avatar.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I have AT&T's U-verse DVR. It lets you record 4 diff things at any time. Really good.

Quick question, is AppleTV a DVR?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have AT&T's U-verse DVR. It lets you record 4 diff things at any time. Really good.

No, it allows access to stream media from iTunes. You can also rent, buy movies/TV shows and view your photos.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

No. It doesn't have a television program guide or tuner/receiver.

TheLex

Bronze
Apr 10, 2008
I've had tivos since 2000. Really love 'em. With series 2 tivos you can download all shows onto your pc and put them on your iPhone. I load up on movies and shows for int'l trips. Series 3 (HD) limits show downloads and has had some screen freezing issues, but it is great nonetheless.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
No, it allows access to stream media from iTunes. You can also rent, buy movies/TV shows and view your photos.
No. It doesn't have a television program guide or tuner/receiver.
Chris, Whats the point of Apple TV then? It sounds VERY expensive. I've always wondered why Apple continues to sell it.

Europa so basically its just a wireless to tv receiver that can pick up your iTunes library?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Chris, Whats the point of Apple TV then? It sounds VERY expensive. I've always wondered why Apple continues to sell it.

Europa so basically its just a wireless to tv receiver that can pick up your iTunes library?

It brings all of your media to your media center. I can view my iTunes and control it via the Front row remote. If I want to rent to a movie, I can browse iTunes. It's also a great way to view photos without having people huddle around a computer. If you're the type to rip your DVD's, you can convert them for AppleTV allowing easy access to your collection.

I bought mine refurbed and would do it again for $200.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
I have Cablevision Optimum DVR , its like 15 dollars a month, and only works on one TV and sometimes I set shows to record and they just don't, After reading Chris's views on Tivo I may do some research and make a switch
the only thing i will miss is being able to record from the viewing guide

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have Cablevision Optimum DVR , its like 15 dollars a month, and only works on one TV and sometimes I set shows to record and they just don't, After reading Chris's views on Tivo I may do some research and make a switch
the only thing i will miss is being able to record from the viewing guide

You'll lose On Demand. Not sure how much Cablevision charges for cablecards. If you don't watch the Knicks, Rangers, Islanders or Devils, I'd recommend FIOS. It's been great -- outside of dealing with the Dolan's stranglehold on local sports in HD.