TiVo to iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

despotency

Jul 1, 2007
I want to get my shows downloaded from my TiVo to my iPhone. What's the best way to do this? I can't get .avi videos from my pc onto my iPhone.

Iwantmymtv35

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Well you should be able to convert them to like a .MPEG or whatever and play those through the iPod app. I use Mac and I like Handbrake, and Crunch is good as well.

MrSoprano

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
check out this link. it will explain how to get the tivo files to your portable devices. just follow the instructions for you ipod since it will be the same for your iPhone. pretty neat feature. just a fyi though that this will only work on a tivo series 2 box and not the hd series 3. enjoy and let us know how it worked out for you!

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/domore/tivotogo/index.html

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
check out this link. it will explain how to get the tivo files to your portable devices. just follow the instructions for you ipod since it will be the same for your iPhone. pretty neat feature. just a fyi though that this will only work on a tivo series 2 box and not the hd series 3. enjoy and let us know how it worked out for you!

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/domore/tivotogo/index.html
That's the official method.

For Mac:

You need to buy Roxio's Toast 8. You download from the TiVo with TiVo Transfer, then hit the "Toast It" button, then choose the Export menu item. Not very intuitive, and limited to 320x240 video sizes.

You can also get the open source project TiVoDecoder, and if you want a nicer interface, the NowPlaying dashboard widget. Get TiVoDecode installed correctly, and the widget will give you a download button, which will send the .tivo file through tiVoDecode to create an MPEG2. Which you can't play in Quicktime because you probably haven't bought the MPEG2 decoder from Apple. So you'll need to buy VisualHub, or install ffmpeg2 to get an open source MPEG2 decoder, and convert it to MPEG4 (H.264) for iTunes. Then you can sync it to the iPhone. If you go this route, you can get whatever resolution you want, but since TiVo records in 480x480, you're not going to get all that much better than the 320x240 you get with Toast 8 and the official method anyway.

For PC's, start at the link in the quote to see what the equavalent software is from TiVo, I think you need to buy TiVo Desktop Pro version if I recall correctly.

Or, get TiVoDecode and ffmpeg2 installed somehow for windows (or linux).

Try the TiVo boards like tivocommunity.com or dealdatabase.com for more tivo specific info... this problem is more a tivo issue than an iPhone issue, so it would be discussed in more detail there.

Jul 1, 2007
I want to get my shows downloaded from my TiVo to my iPhone. What's the best way to do this? I can't get .avi videos from my pc onto my iPhone.
You will need to upgrade your Tivo Software to Tivo Desktop Plus and then you can set your preferences to convert for use with my MPEG-4 compatable device under the Portable Devices tab. I am new to Tivo, but I did get it all to work. You can also download another software to cut out commercials if you like. I haven't tried that yet, but downloaded a free trial of Video ReDo Plus to try to cut out commercials.

I hope this helps. The instructions should be under Tivo to go on the Tivo website.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
You will need to upgrade your Tivo Software to Tivo Desktop Plus and then you can set your preferences to convert for use with my MPEG-4 compatable device under the Portable Devices tab.

I hope this helps. The instructions should be under Tivo to go on the Tivo website.
Note: this is for Windows only.

For Macs: Roxio's Toast 8 contains the TiVo supported mac version of "TiVo Desktop Pro".

Windows folks, don't assume you're talking to other windows folks in Apple's iPhone forums! Specify which platform you're talking about when you propose solutions. That goes for Mac folks too, there are heathens buying iPhones.

423youin

May 19, 2010
If you have a TiVo, there are several apps in the App Store. While none of them allow playback on the iPhone or iPod touch themselves, they're still useful tools for TiVo-holics.
For those with TiVo Series 3 boxes, DVR Remote($2.99) turns your iPhone or iPod touch into not only a remote control for your TiVo, but also a much easier way to enter text, compared to using the remote. There is a little bit of setup that you have to do on your TiVo before DVR Remote works, but once all the devices are talking to one another, you can view Now Playing information and select favorite channels straight from this app. Also, RemoteT(99 cents) is a less-polished, less-expensive app that has much of the same functionality as DVR Remote. For those with Series 2 DVRs, DVR Shows(99 cents) lets you browse the contents of your Now Playing list and view program details.
If you want to playback your tivo shows on your iPhone, i recommend you Pavtube Video Converter for converting TiVo to MPEG. It works very well and I haven't really had any problems. Conversion speed seems fine and the videos look good on the iPhone 4. I saw Pavtube mentioned in the TiVo forums as a good way to convert for the iPad so I decided to try it. It's much better than TiVo's converter. TiVo's converters for mobile devices are terrible.
http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/fo...B4DEE6C70EADAD?postID=10468484&ie=x#e10468484