To all iPhone geeks !

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jeremymobile

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
There is a lot of talk about hacking the phone and all the cool stuff you can fo with it. Mine is hacked and i love it. But most of the software is usless. don't get me wrong therre is a lot of good programs out there.

How about some programs the other phones have, like

media player to play other media formats
emial and text reader. So the program will read it to you
is flash or another program that can read flash every going to come around?
voice dialing?

Just a few things that are on my mind.......

:cool:

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
yes i cant wait till feb either but also worried about pricing we would have to pay since they already try to make you buy ringtones and everything else for the iPhone

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You know I am at the point where I'd rather pay for a finished app than go down many of the dead-ends I've been down for native iPhone apps. Seems like many apps started out good, got several updates to make them better, and then... nothing. Take the To-Do app for instance. Started out with promise, but hasn't really seen an update since the first two weeks of release. Ditto for PDFViewer, and I'm sure I can think of others.

Seems the current "everything is free" format works well to get things going. Not so great for 100% finished apps. Heck, I wouldn't mind paying right now, if the app is actually complete.

I'd certainly pay right now for a decent RDP client, Office doc reader/writer (i.e., like Docs2Go), and who knows what else....

My fear about the upcoming SDK is more about how limited it will be than the price of apps. For example I seriously doubt we'll see something like Mobile Finder or iRadio as "sanctioned" applications. Time will tell.

--
Mike

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I agree with you Mike. A lot of the utilities that I use daily such as Terminal, Mobile Finder, etc.. will probably not be available. I can't see Apple approving software that allows you to wander around within the operating system.

jeremymobile

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
yes your right. Perhaps when apps come in the future, the free apps will improve on non approve apps. and cut out the others

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
like is anyone really going to use their iPhone as a level?
You never know when you will be stuck on a desert island and have to build a quick make-shift raft. You definitely wouldn't want one end to be lower than another so you would whip out your iPhone, check the surface with your level, adjust it as needed then sit back and tickle Elmo.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I would pay for a Native TO DO app that integrated with the calendar like I had on my BB. I think that was built in the BB, but I would pay for it on the iPhone. That is the only thing I miss from my BB, actually. (I tried a bunch of the TO DO web apps, but they are all kind of a PIA, so I just put the deadline for my tasks in the calendar with a couple of alerts to remind me. Then if it is not done, I reset the date).

Do you guys think this kind of app will be developed?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You know I am at the point where I'd rather pay for a finished app than go down many of the dead-ends I've been down for native iPhone apps. Seems like many apps started out good, got several updates to make them better, and then... nothing. Take the To-Do app for instance. Started out with promise, but hasn't really seen an update since the first two weeks of release. Ditto for PDFViewer, and I'm sure I can think of others.

Seems the current "everything is free" format works well to get things going. Not so great for 100% finished apps. Heck, I wouldn't mind paying right now, if the app is actually complete.

I'd certainly pay right now for a decent RDP client, Office doc reader/writer (i.e., like Docs2Go), and who knows what else....

My fear about the upcoming SDK is more about how limited it will be than the price of apps. For example I seriously doubt we'll see something like Mobile Finder or iRadio as "sanctioned" applications. Time will tell.

--
Mike
Ditto.

Half the reason I Restored was that the apps I got off INstaller were useless or just didn't work.

Of course, it would be great not to pay for apps from the SDK, but if they're worth it, yeah, I'll pay.

- John

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
yes Apple is going to profit so much off of this their probably going to run those dumb monthly subscriptions like with every other feature for AT&T and Verizon now. But with other ones I see what you guys are saying and I would rather pay $5 for an app that I know is going to work properly and not crash my phone. With the SDK being released in Feb. were probably going to see a firmware upgrade as well for like a scrolling main screen and hopefully in that they'll fix a few bugs they still have left in the phone itself. But only time will tell.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I know Epocrates is already planning on porting to the iPhone as soon as the SDK is out. That won't mean much to most people but for me that will let me put my Palm devices away 98% of the time. Add a robust ToDo app and the Palm goes away for good.