To Buy or not to buy

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
well my phone is kinda broken about a quarter of the screen is unresponsive if you look at the homescreen and it is stock the line that youtube stocks weather and maps is on is completely dead...the question is with the rumors that the iPhone v2 is coming in june should i go buy a new one now or wait it out with an unresponsive screen?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
well my phone is kinda broken about a quarter of the screen is unresponsive if you look at the homescreen and it is stock the line that youtube stocks weather and maps is on is completely dead...the question is with the rumors that the iPhone v2 is coming in june should i go buy a new one now or wait it out with an unresponsive screen?
If you can tolerate the loss of functionality, I'd wait. But, if the iPhone is your primary communication device, you may want to replace it. With a replacement model, you might want to canvas the internet to see if you can get an unlocked model cheaper than from the store. There is also the possibility that the stores may not have sufficient inventory to replace your device with the current generation.

Also, keep in mind that you are paying not only for voice, but data as well. You need to decide if you are getting your money's worth.

Good luck. :)

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
well thank you for responding...i went to the Apple store and they swapped it out for me...no questions asked...i fall in love with Apple more and more on a daily basis

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
So guys I have a dilemma I have a 3G iPhone it recently got water damaged I guess how I do not know as I have never even taken it in the bathroom with me out of fear of dropping it in water. Anyways I am eligible for the 3Gs at the subsidized price and I really would like to get it but that puts me locked into another two year contract. Ok so the other thing is my old 3G is working the screen is just way lighter than it should be but the phone itself works great. What should I do? Should I buy a new one or should I wait till next summer and use this one till then? Does the 3Gs offer that much more besides hard-drive space for me? Any advice would be great thanks.

I'll try and post a screen shot of my phone.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Just the speed increase alone is reason to upgrade. You also get a much better (autofocus) camera with video recording, a compass (and all the augmented reality apps that exist and will come), voice control, etc..

So yeah, it's well worth it.

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
I just hate that I'll have to do this when next summer I know they'll come out with an even better one ya know? I mean mine works but I almost hate using it because the screen is way to light and makes it so hard to see. I wonder if Apple would fix it.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Are the moisture sensors tripped?

You could always sell the 3GS in July.

RS1001

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Minneapolis
Take it to Apple with the water damage, they will replace it for a 199.00 fee. No contract extension needed. Then in July/August sell it on eBay when yoy get your new model and get your money back.

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
So today the screen for whatever reason started working and is normal Im not exactly sure why but for whatever reason it started working. so im really gonna just cross my fingers and hope it stays this way. How do I check if the moisture sensors are tripped?