to case or not to case? do you case? or are you naked?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

whats your iphone wearing? view all options for combos before answering

• silicone/rubber etc.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • hard case

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hard rubber case

• invisishield/bodyguardz etc.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • just a screen guard/shield

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • silicone/rubber etc. w/ screen guard/bodyguardz/invisishield etc.

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • hard case w/ screen guard/bodyguardz/invisishield etc.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • hard rubber case w/ screen guard/bodyguardz/invisishield etc.

• NAKED or sleeve/pouch

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Leather case

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters

ipod classic

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I am really having a hard time debating on what case to get or if i should even get a case and just go naked. So please feel free to help me out. Thanks

i'd love to go naked just like i do when i'm alone at home, but unfortunately, our warranty wont cover cosmetic damage and if anything it just voids it if we have a cracked screen.

i'm looking for something that:
Takes drops (cushions the phone)
scratch protects the iPhone
prevents the screen from breaking due to a drop
a case that wont break because of a drop
and of course looks, sharp, sexy, sleek, thin and very iphone-ish

so thats it, please feel free to suggest or advice something, it would be much appreciated!

Thank you
4gb

UGActg

Sep 8, 2007
I don't use a case mainly because every case I've seen is ugly and will detract from the "beauty" of the iPhone. I've got a film on it but thats all. If I can find a case that I like I'll go with one, but I can't find anything.

opcode

Sep 20, 2007
I'm waiting on the black Piel Frama leather case with magnetic enclosure. I've dropped my old cell phone in the past and I know it's only a matter of time before I drop my iPhone, so I'd like it to be as protected as possible. From what I've read and can see, the Piel Frama case seems to cover every side of the iPhone, whereas most other cases leave the edges exposed.

I realize that a flip case isn't for everyone, and of course it hides the beautiful design of the iPhone, but there's always a trade off of protection versus aesthetics, and as far as I'm concerned, protection is more important.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I went with the DLO hip-pouch thing. It looks nice and does provide some protection at least when it is in there. It is also very nice for use with the headphones when biking or hiking and using the ipod/handsfree which I do all the time.

ipod classic

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
wow, its looking like a little more than half of us so far are on the naked side with perhaps just a sleeve or a pouch. i'm currently naked and would hate to see a scratch, scuff or crack on my phone. i like some of you have no idea what to get. as i do agree that there are a lot of crap cases out there. maybe its because most of them released their cases before the iPhone was released. so maybe its wise to wait. but like i said i would hate for an accident to come my way. i can feel the pressure

rbarger

Sep 21, 2007
Michigan, United States
This is always a big topic with any cell phone. The problem is, the iPhone's touch screen interface makes for designing a case a lot more challenging.

My iPhone is naked, but I do have a leather case that straps to my belt. Its a 3rd party case thats pretty good. It doesn't have a hole for the headphone plug, but I just cut it in.

I almost got a silicon body case, but decided against it. Dirt, grit, and other small particles get stuck in the silicon case and constantly rub against your phone causing some serious scratches to the body. I didn't want to risk my iPhone getting scratched on the casing of the phone.

Also remember, film is a good idea, but your iPhone features a scratch resistant GLASS screen. Not a plastic one like every other phone has. Thats why other screens tend to scratch so easily. Its hard to scratch glass, and I commend Apple for implementing the glass screen into their design.

As also stated before in a previous post, you don't want a case that swallows your iPhone making it difficult to operate or even cool off. The number one cause for failing batteries is exposure to heat. If your iPhone can't breathe, that permanent battery in your iPhone will soon become damaged rendering it useless. Apple even recommends on their battery information page, to allow your iPhone to breathe.

Of all the phones i've had and cases i've tried, i've found the most success in just having a leather case to slip the phone into as opposed to anything else.

I do tend to try to be super careful when removing or inserting my iPhone for the fear of dropping it. I just try to be really careful.

My suggestion is to get a film to protect your screen ($15 at Apple store for 2 films custom fit to iPhone) and a leather case you can slip it in and out of.

BY ALL MEANS, avoid a naked iPhone in your pocket! Chances are a lot greater that your phone will get scratched just being in your pocket as opposed to a leather case. One day, you'll forget that slim iPhone is in your right pocket, and before you know it, you stuff your keys in the same pocket. You grab your phone and find a nice surprise.

ipod classic

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
This is always a big topic with any cell phone. The problem is, the iPhone's touch screen interface makes for designing a case a lot more challenging.

My iPhone is naked, but I do have a leather case that straps to my belt. Its a 3rd party case thats pretty good. It doesn't have a hole for the headphone plug, but I just cut it in.

I almost got a silicon body case, but decided against it. Dirt, grit, and other small particles get stuck in the silicon case and constantly rub against your phone causing some serious scratches to the body. I didn't want to risk my iPhone getting scratched on the casing of the phone.

Also remember, film is a good idea, but your iPhone features a scratch resistant GLASS screen. Not a plastic one like every other phone has. Thats why other screens tend to scratch so easily. Its hard to scratch glass, and I commend Apple for implementing the glass screen into their design.

As also stated before in a previous post, you don't want a case that swallows your iPhone making it difficult to operate or even cool off. The number one cause for failing batteries is exposure to heat. If your iPhone can't breathe, that permanent battery in your iPhone will soon become damaged rendering it useless. Apple even recommends on their battery information page, to allow your iPhone to breathe.

Of all the phones i've had and cases i've tried, i've found the most success in just having a leather case to slip the phone into as opposed to anything else.

I do tend to try to be super careful when removing or inserting my iPhone for the fear of dropping it. I just try to be really careful.

My suggestion is to get a film to protect your screen ($15 at Apple store for 2 films custom fit to iPhone) and a leather case you can slip it in and out of.

BY ALL MEANS, avoid a naked iPhone in your pocket! Chances are a lot greater that your phone will get scratched just being in your pocket as opposed to a leather case. One day, you'll forget that slim iPhone is in your right pocket, and before you know it, you stuff your keys in the same pocket. You grab your phone and find a nice surprise.

what about a cellphone wrapped in bodyguardz invisishield etc. then topped off with a silicone case? that'd probably make it to hot for the phone to function properly huh? i wanna do the slip in leather case or pouch thing too, but aren't you fearful of dropping it naked when its out of its slip in case?

B-MAC

Sep 15, 2007
Ohio
I have the invisbileshield (well the screen cover for now, haven't found three days i decided i wanted to go without my phone for the back :p), then again, i just saw they sell the fronts only also. and the belkin case from this site.
The case is cool, i chose it over a vaja case because it slides right out of the top with now clips or anything stopping it. it really fits nice and tight, doesn't add much bulk while keeping it protected. Think of it as those kids that wear girl pants, thats about how tight this things fits, but it yet still efficient and protective. Another nice thing is it doubles as a money clip :p

Last edited by a moderator:

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
I was using the rubber incase with a screenguard, but after reading all of the horror stories here on the forums about the chrome being scratched, and then seeing it for myself on my own iPhone, I changed to the Agent 18 case. I got in white, which most people think is ugly :p, but it has grown on me. The case is great and my screen is still perfect since I installed the screen protector when I got it.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Never "Nekkid". I'm too hard on phones to not have an Otterbox Defender on it. It only ever comes out of the case to clean the case and the phone, maybe once a month or so.

Last edited:

Happer

Nov 30, 2016
Since I dropped my iPhone once, I bought a ZVE shockproof case for protecting, now I take the case all the time.