To engrave or not to engrave?

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
I've never ordered a personal engraving on my Apple devices before but went for it this time on the new iPad. The ordering process seemed to make it a little easier or maybe it was highlighted a little more this time around.

Anyone else get an engraving? What'd you go with?
(I got my name in binary. Wanted it to be something innocuous just in case I want to sell it later.)

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
I did on my 2, then realized it killed resale value, so I skipped it this time.

Thankfully, my son doesn't care what it says on it and will enjoy getting my old one, anyway.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

The Kace

Aug 15, 2010
I engraved.....

RIP SJ

I figure it won't hurt resale but still makes it identifiable if it is stolen. He's the man!

tate

Bronze
Jun 6, 2009
I pre ordered one for my daughter and got something put on it. I figured she won't be getting another one so this will be her's.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I was about to say no, to the engraving. But, binary, now that is a brilliant idea. Re-sale shouldn't be an issue with that at all...

*as I walk away to look into this, and adding a binary engraving* :)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I've never ordered a personal engraving on my Apple devices before but went for it this time on the new iPad. The ordering process seemed to make it a little easier or maybe it was highlighted a little more this time around.

Anyone else get an engraving? What'd you go with?
(I got my name in binary. Wanted it to be something innocuous just in case I want to sell it later.)
Well--it's kinda like getting a tattoo. It's permanent. I personally have never gotten an iDevice engraved (I have received one as a gift, though). Coincidentally, or maybe not, I've never gotten a tattoo either.

I can think of one reason not to engrave. Let's say you decide to get your favorite rock band's name engraved on your iPad. Why not?! Then, one fateful night, your beloved rock band happens to be walking around your neighborhood, all of them drunk (except for the drummer, who is drunk and stoned), and they spray-paint obscenities on your car and then set your house on fire (you are safe, for you happen to be sleeping over at your boss's house--and your engraved iPad is there). How will you feel in the morning when you come home to all this, and then look at the engraving on your iPad?

This is why your choice of engraving--your name in binary--is one of the safest. You will probably never set your own house on fire. And if you do, your engraved iPad will be in the house with you, and it will get burnt to a crisp. So you'll never have to worry about looking at the engraving and feeling absolutely rotten.

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
I was about to say no, to the engraving. But, binary, now that is a brilliant idea. Re-sale shouldn't be an issue with that at all...
I'll take "brilliant"! Thanks.

Let's say you decide to get your favorite rock band's name engraved on your iPad. Why not?! Then, one fateful night, your beloved rock band happens to be walking around your neighborhood, all of them drunk (except for the drummer, who is drunk and stoned), and they spray-paint obscenities on your car and then set your house on fire (you are safe, for you happen to be sleeping over at your boss's house--and your engraved iPad is there). How will you feel in the morning when you come home to all this, and then look at the engraving on your iPad?
This is a fantastic point. I hadn't thought of this scenario. I will definitely stick with the binary. :)

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I gave my wife an iPod Mini WAY back when and had it engraved. Thought it was great. However, it KILLED resale...at least 20-25%. Since I "recycle" my iDevices, I never engrave. My wife has an HP Touchpad and doesn't really want an iPad...loves her iPhone 4. However, were I to EVER receive an iDevice as a gift...I'd LOVE the engraved special touch. :)

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
Man, I hadn't even thought about resale value. Mine's pretty personal. Maybe there's a good way to cover it up somehow.

Then again, I've never been one to sell my iDevices every year to get the latest and greatest. I had an iPhone 3G for nearly three years, and once I finally bought the white 4, I skipped the 4S.

mbairguy

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 8, 2012
Birmingham, AL
engraving extended delivery on my ipad2 (xmas). from what i have read, changes to existing orders "may" extend delivery...

btw...reading posts of people taking the day off for a "little new ipad time" makes me smile:)

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I thought of having it engraved, but decided against it. Resale value would plummet but besides that it would be personal to me and I just wouldn't do it unless I knew for sure I wouldn't sell it or give it away next year.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
you could just put your dl# on it if for like security reasons. you never know a good sameritan may find it on day. although i must say the text looks really small. they could have done a better jon than that imho.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I engraved mine with what else, "Dallas Phil". LOL Just in case it makes any difference in your decision, you CAN return an engraved or personalized iPad for a full refund within 14 days.

Mar 14, 2012
The engraving is actually very nice. Never thought of it seriously. A member had a good idea of putting a serial number for loss I'd purposes. I don't see resale being affected to such a point. Maybe next time I will put something witty.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
the font is too small but since it's free i really can't complain. i think i will do my own engraving on mine just for kicks. if anyone wants to post some pics of some ideas of how or what they would put on their ipad is helpful. as i really have no idea what to put on the back of mine. but i do want to put something on it. who knows i may make a few $$ doing it. i will post pics of my work when it is done.