To get or not to, that is the question

Discussion in 'iPad mini' started by ryfone, Jan 26, 2013.

1. ryfone

ryfone Member
    Bronze

I have cash to burn and the iPad mini is sucking me in; resistance is futile. However, my better judgment says to wait until the iPad mini 2 is released. I haven't an iPad...yet, and the latest iPad w/ retina looks very intriguing. But I love the size of the mini. Yes it's true that my tablet needs can be meet with my fire-sale touchpad running Android ICS, but it's not an iPad. Why am I obsessed with the mini? Why must I have it? Is this some sick tech addiction I have, or is there something else at play here? Someone please talk some sense to me, what would you do?!

Sent using iCafe app

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I bought the iPad mini and iPad 4 when they both came out. It didn't make sense at the time to have both, so I returned the iPad mini. Each week that goes by I'm starting to get more and more iPad mini envy. Sure it doesn't have retina and yes it'll likely have it later this year. My crazy rationale is that it's an easy resale or hand-me down to my wife. I'm also thinking that I went big with the iPad 4 and it might not be the ideal iPad for me. Of course the ideal iPad is probably a mini with retina.

If you wanted someone to come into this thread and stop you, I'm afraid I'm not the man for the job. :D

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Get it now and enjoy it for the next 8 months or so.. If the mini 2 entices you then sell the OG mini and pick up the 2.. If the 2 does not entice you then continue rocking the OG mini!

Problem solved.. :)

4. ryfone

ryfone Member
    Bronze

Both of your responses seem logical. Rumors up to about a week ago were suggesting that the iPad mini 2 would be released in march of this year. However, now the rumor mill is suggesting an October release. I may try to hold out until march. If it isn't released by then, I'll get the iPad mini and either hand it down to my wife or try to sell it when version 2 is released. Thanks guys.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I always thought that March was ambitious. If I were a gambling man, I'd put money on a summer iPhone 5S and low cost iPhone, with new iPads in fall.

Sent using iCafe app

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm betting on no new iPhones, iPads or iPods until the fall.

The mini is awesome. I sold my iPad 3 and got one on launch day. I'm really happy with that decision.

You might as well get one and enjoy it now if you have the money. You can always sell it or hand it down when the new one comes out.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Agree, Apple products hold their value so you'll get to use it for almost nothing!

Sent using iCafe app

8. ryfone

ryfone Member
    Bronze

Ok, say I get the mini, and in nine months rev 2 is released. What do you think I could get for rev 1 selling it on Craigslist or EBay? $150 - $200ish?

Sent using iCafe app

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd say about $200 for a 16 GB.

10. ryfone

ryfone Member
    Bronze

Not too shabby!

Sent using iCafe app

11. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I usually knock around $100 off my Apple gear when I sell them on Craigslist if the newer one has already been announced or released..

I'd probably list a 16GB mini for $230 if it were in mint condition.. Of course after Craigslist haggling with buyers it would probably sell for around $200.

If the mini is in mint condition I would not take any less than that.

12. ryfone

ryfone Member
    Bronze

I drank the kool aid... :) ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1359500750.358011.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

13. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Congrats! :)

14. ryfone

ryfone Member
    Bronze

Thanks, I'm loving it! I wish there was Instagram and Google Maps for iPad...

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1359568474.087922.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

15. AmandaKess

AmandaKess Member
    Bronze

I don't own one personally, but the general consensus seems to be that the mini is a good buy.

16. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I'd wait for the iPad mini 2 and get the retina display.

17. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

That could be 8 months away and there is no guarantee the next mini will have a retina..

Me? I'd get it now and rock it for the next several months. If you wait for the mini 2 then you might as well wait for the mini 3 as the next best is always on the horizon..

My .02

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

I agree things are getting tight at Apple with all the new phones and tablets hitting the stores. Also the Big Apple investors are wanting a lot more money on their stock holdings, that Apple has in the past horded under old Steve Jobs. And now Obama pushing for Apple to start Mfg. in the USA. So Apple with their T.V. idea and now a wrist watch thing what ever it is. It might be a while till we really see the retina in a mini iPad. I see many changes coming at Apple.