To Jailbreak or not to

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I have been thinking of hacking my iPhone and understand it will void all warranty.. Also I know of the sdk upgrades that should hit in Feb. Can someone tell me what the benefits are of hacking the iPhone and maybe it will help me make a easier decision...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well it's pretty simple.

Hacking gives you little toys and abilities that you can't do with a stock phone. Some are more "mind-blowing" than others, but most fall into the Applet category. Someone who jailbreaks could probably tell you what they consider the "killer apps" then you can decide if those abilities are worth the hassle/risk of jailbreaking.

For what it's worth, jailbreaking is much safer than unlocking, and is 99% reversible (I made that figure up, but it's pretty accurate) in case anything goes wrong. I've never done it myself because I'm perfectly happy with what the phone does now and am willing to wait for the legit SDK release. Besides, I've overclocked enough computers in my life to feel I'm still in the lead when it comes to taking advantage of my hardware. I can take it easy on my cell phone.

But that's me. And ya just gotta be you.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Also it only voids your warranty if you get caught with it modified. My phones screen went unresponsive in certain areas because of heat caused by using the wireless. Before I sent the phone in for repair I returned the software to its original format and I had no problems getting my phone replaced. I think it is important to return to the original software even if you are just upgrading firmware, in case they have any programming tricks up their sleeve.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Also I liked having the third party apps. The webapps are getting better, but they still can't beat the third party apps. For instance, I got stuck in an elevator with no service. That meant no webapps. If I am gonna die alone in an elevator, I'd at least like to be able to play some backgammon or something!

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Also I liked having the third party apps. The webapps are getting better, but they still can't beat the third party apps. For instance, I got stuck in an elevator with no service. That meant no webapps. If I am gonna die alone in an elevator, I'd at least like to be able to play some backgammon or something!

Or you could watch "The Towering Inferno":eek:

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Or you could watch "The Towering Inferno":eek:
Luckily we were not stuck very long. I somehow doubt that I would be interested in watching that particular movie at that particular time. :p

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
So if I jailbreak my iPhone, it can be reversed to how it was before I modified it? 100% original?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Not 100%. I discovered about a month back that there were still files on my phone from a jailbreak in September, after a Restore.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There was an assorment. Some preferences, some manually added Installer sources. Nothing big that would hurt the phone, but they were still there are all the same.

- John

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
alright big question and I know this should probably be under mods, but if I restore my phone to jailbreak it then add installer and all that crap can I add back all my contacts and photos so that I basically have the same phone but jailbroken with 3rd party apps, so basically can I keep all by stuff? Thanks

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Not 100%. I discovered about a month back that there were still files on my phone from a jailbreak in September, after a Restore.

- John
This is true, because when I got my replacement phone I plugged it in and it restored the 1.1.1 (i think) it still had some files on the phone that could not have been placed on there unless you jailbreak your phone. I had ringtones that were still on there even though the jailbreak software had been removed. I was lucky that the iPhone techs never caught it. So there are some other things you would have to check before you would be back to 100% original......if it would be possible.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
alright big question and I know this should probably be under mods, but if I restore my phone to jailbreak it then add installer and all that crap can I add back all my contacts and photos so that I basically have the same phone but jailbroken with 3rd party apps, so basically can I keep all by stuff? Thanks
Yes, you keep your contacts . I'm not sure about the photos, because I backed those up before I attempted my jailbreak.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
There was an assorment. Some preferences, some manually added Installer sources. Nothing big that would hurt the phone, but they were still there are all the same.

- John
FYI: Preferences, even for third party apps, are backed up along with native app preferences. So if after restoring you agree to have the iPhone use its last backup file those preferences will naturally get copied back. But if instead you choose to set it up fresh they will not.

Also a Restore wipes both the system and media partitions on the iPhone. An Update Only wipes the system, leaving the media Partition alone (so you won't need to reload music, etc.). Many third-party apps store data on the media partition so if you update rather than restore that data will remain (e.g., Installer files).

So the very best way to clean the iPhone is to do a full restore, and then don't agree to use the last backup (which means nothing on the iPhone will be saved).

--
Mike

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
FYI: Preferences, even for third party apps, are backed up along with native app preferences. So if after restoring you agree to have the iPhone use its last backup file those preferences will naturally get copied back. But if instead you choose to set it up fresh they will not.

Also a Restore wipes both the system and media partitions on the iPhone. An Update Only wipes the system, leaving the media Partition alone (so you won't need to reload music, etc.). Many third-party apps store data on the media partition so if you update rather than restore that data will remain (e.g., Installer files).

So the very best way to clean the iPhone is to do a full restore, and then don't agree to use the last backup (which means nothing on the iPhone will be saved).

--
Mike
hmmm......Whenever I did the full restore, I must have used the last backup then. So basicly in order to completely make your phone software like a brand new phone you must do the full restore and select "don't agree" and your software will be "virgin".

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
hmmm......Whenever I did the full restore, I must have used the last backup then. So basicly in order to completely make your phone software like a brand new phone you must do the full restore and select "don't agree" and your software will be "virgin".
Well, let's just say as virgin as possible. I won't guarantee that there isn't something that Apple can still trace, but I will say that possibility is much less likely if you follow what I wrote (full restore, don't agree to use the backup).

--
Mike

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
I just want to clarify here... If I restore my phone so its clear then jailbreak it and then plug it back into iTunes can I back it back up with my contacts and photos or are they lost for ever?