To JB or not to JB

sheelz

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
I've had my iPhone a week and am sorely tempted to JB. I've trawled through many threads about JB'ing and have a question (or two, three) to ask ... firstly, I should point out I'm running Windows Vista.

Is there any way of exporting contacts information without a JB? This is me being too lazy to note them all down, I suppose ;) If not, then, I'll just have to write them down before I start.

I have firmware 2.2. Is there a special procedure for this? And lastly - should JB not be for me, is the best way to restore - go for 'new phone' rather than backup 'XXX's iPhone' ?

Sorry about the inane questions, but I'm dithering like crazy here! :eek:

TIA for any help given.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've had my iPhone a week and am sorely tempted to JB. I've trawled through many threads about JB'ing and have a question (or two, three) to ask ... firstly, I should point out I'm running Windows Vista.

Is there any way of exporting contacts information without a JB? This is me being too lazy to note them all down, I suppose ;) If not, then, I'll just have to write them down before I start.

I have firmware 2.2. Is there a special procedure for this? And lastly - should JB not be for me, is the best way to restore - go for 'new phone' rather than backup 'XXX's iPhone' ?

Sorry about the inane questions, but I'm dithering like crazy here! :eek:

TIA for any help given.
Well the JB thing is personal, and lots of the user here on EIC is jailbroken - I'm not, but that's another story!

If you can get your contact into Outlook - it's great!? Otherwise I will write these contact down on paper and manually putting them onto the iPhone. There is some apps around that import contacts from SIM card, but some get really messed up...information on the persons etc.

sheelz

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
JB or not.....

Thanks for the replies. One of the main reasons I'm considering a JB is that I'd like to customise my SMS tones - the stock ones are, IMHO, pathetic. Also it'd be good to tweak other settings to my liking. Yes, I'm still unsure as the iPhone isn't just any old piece of kit. Usually I'm pretty confident about doing 'geeky' stuff. I reckon I'll have another trawl before making a hard and fast decision.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Thanks for the replies. One of the main reasons I'm considering a JB is that I'd like to customise my SMS tones - the stock ones are, IMHO, pathetic. Also it'd be good to tweak other settings to my liking. Yes, I'm still unsure as the iPhone isn't just any old piece of kit. Usually I'm pretty confident about doing 'geeky' stuff. I reckon I'll have another trawl before making a hard and fast decision.
Er, stock ringtones? You can use your own (for free) w/o jailbreaking. But tweaking other settings is an option your going to get with jailbreaking.
I was in your situation, I finally jailbroke today.

sheelz

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
Ringtones

Hi - I modified the voicecall ringtones on the first day using music from my library. It's the SMS tones (yuk) which seem to be unchangeable. How did you get on with JB?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Hi - I modified the voicecall ringtones on the first day using music from my library. It's the SMS tones (yuk) which seem to be unchangeable. How did you get on with JB?
lol, my bad brother, I was in a rush.
Well, so far so good to some it up. No real major lag, but I have yet to do anything. I guess it has to do with the fact that I'm lost! XD

Jun 21, 2009
San Francisco-ish
So I'm still fairly new to the world of iPhone. I was wondering if I should jailbreak it or not. what are the pros and cons?

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
i am much having the same debate as you.
i would like to jailbreak for the availability of switching themes..
i think that would be nice
but im so new to the Apple world that i don't know the actual real benefits.
im still waiting for solid opinions that the 3gs JB actually 100% works

mr.reggaeton72

Zealot
Silver
Jun 12, 2009
yes you should jailbreak..just look how i customized my iPhone...JB is awesome!

(i never understood why the charging icon and the battery icon percentage are different ): )

Jun 21, 2009
San Francisco-ish
ok, it looks pretty (although too close to windows for my desire, I was never really a fan) and that's one of the reasons to JB the iPhone, but what I want to know are the serious benefits of it. I don't mind the factory interface of the iPhone, what about apps, utilities and what not? that's more important than making my Apple iPhone look like windows..

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
SBSettings (toggle wifi, 3G, SSH, airplane mode etc), Winterboard, backgrounder (run apps in the background), Intelliscreen, the list goes on.

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
ok. background running apps is worth it all day long.

Jun 21, 2009
San Francisco-ish
Ok, what about cons? Is there any negative effects to a JB? I've been seeing posts about sync issues and the like. Is that just user error or the 3.0 update, or is it just that common of a problem.

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, I judt want to be sure before I do it.

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
SBSettings (toggle wifi, 3G, SSH, airplane mode etc), Winterboard, backgrounder (run apps in the background), Intelliscreen, the list goes on.
Don't forget Categories and that one app that we're not supposed to talk about :p

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Don't forget Categories and that one app that we're not supposed to talk about :p
I've never used either. So i can't really comment on them :)

Ok, what about cons? Is there any negative effects to a JB? I've been seeing posts about sync issues and the like. Is that just user error or the 3.0 update, or is it just that common of a problem.

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, I judt want to be sure before I do it.
as for cons. Having to rejailbreak every time a new firmware is released. App's aren't backed up so you have to reinstall them. (but there's apps like Aptbackup, Chronus, Appbackup that create a list and reinstall them again after jailbreaking). No Winterboard (for 3GS) and other apps that rely on the vm_patch kernel.

I haven't had any issues since my first time jailbreaking (1.1.1 days)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Backgrounder for multitasking, SBSettings for fast and easy access to settings, MxTube for downloading YouTube videos locally to your iPhone, and Flashlight.

mr.reggaeton72

Zealot
Silver
Jun 12, 2009
i just put a windows vista theme...just because i like the color of windows vista...i like how it looks...but hey...OF COURSE THERE IS UTILITIES

i have MIM...which allows you to change the ATT logo with whatever you want(but lets get serious)

- An app called myCinema which allows you to download videos from any internet page

- allows you to send files over bluetooth
- a video recorder called CyCorder
- an app called yellowsnow which lets you unlock your iPhone to use with any carrier
- a java loader to be able to load java on internet pages
- an app that lets you respond SMS from any app(when you get a text, a windows pops up to write the text and reply right there without leaving the app your in)

and way more stuff...theres just too many..