To recap, 8GB iPad 2, 8-inch iPad and no 64GB iPad 3

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
DigiTimes rumor du jour today brings a host of crazy. They suggest that we'll see an 8GB iPad 2, an 8-inch iPad later this year and believe the iPad 3 will not be available in a 64GB model.

The first two don't seem that outlandish. I think an 8-inch iPad probably discounts the need for an 8GB iPad 2. Unless they are pushing that out relatively soon to get a lower cost iPad in the marketplace.

As for removing the 64GB option for the iPad 3, I think that's flat out nuts. Why would they go backwards and stop offering that option.

Maybe they are just flinging as much "stuff" as possible and seeing what sticks.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Double-rez apps will need the space. Apple would be fools not to offer the option (and they should really consider a 128GB option. Memory is cheap).

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
The only time I recall that they've ever discontinued a higher capacity was the old iPod classic 160 GB. I don't see them discontinuing the 64 GB iPad, especially since there's space in there for 2 flash chips.

Hell, they could probably go nuts and make it 4 64 GB chips if they wanted. A 256 GB iPad would be pretty spiffy. I'd buy that for a dollar.

An 8 GB iPad would not be as spiffy. To start with, the OS and the difference in space measurement knocks an 8 GB iPod touch 4 down to 6.4 GB usable. An iPad's OS is even larger. That doesn't leave much room for content and apps. I could only see them doing an 8 GB iPad if it meant they could get the price down to $300 while keeping their margin high.

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
Why would you want a 256GB memory in a device that isn't a laptop or pc? Ok for photo's is about all it can hold. So why would you need that much capacity for photo's? iPads don't allow anything to be plugged into it, like, printer, DVD drive etc etc.
Beyond me really!

What I will say though is, rest assured Apple with bring out bigger GB's once everyone's bought the iPad 3 at bigger costs. You then have to either buy again to keep up, or sell the one you have to buy the new one. Apple is a businesss it's how businessses work. They are not bothered about you they are bothered about profits.

iHolophyte

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I have a lot of photos & videos taken with my various iPhones over the years. Lots of apps. A bit of music. I filled up my 32 GB iPad 2 without even trying hard, and would probably fill up a 64 GB one too.

Then there's the fact that the iPad 3 with a 2048x1536 screen would be absolutely killer for editing video (iMovie). And the 1080p videos taken with the 4S take up about 10 gigs an hour. So, shooting my videos on a 4S, moving them over to the iPad to work with, if it were 256 GB I'd have plenty of room to play around.

I don't see 256 GB being likely, though, since they don't have 4 flash chips, and 128 GB flash chips aren't quite there yet.

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
I have a lot of photos & videos taken with my various iPhones over the years. Lots of apps. A bit of music. I filled up my 32 GB iPad 2 without even trying hard, and would probably fill up a 64 GB one too.

Then there's the fact that the iPad 3 with a 2048x1536 screen would be absolutely killer for editing video (iMovie). And the 1080p videos taken with the 4S take up about 10 gigs an hour. So, shooting my videos on a 4S, moving them over to the iPad to work with, if it were 256 GB I'd have plenty of room to play around.

I don't see 256 GB being likely, though, since they don't have 4 flash chips, and 128 GB flash chips aren't quite there yet.

Just buy an iMac. Solves the problem!

iHolophyte

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Why would you want a 256GB memory in a device that isn't a laptop or pc? Ok for photo's is about all it can hold. So why would you need that much capacity for photo's? iPads don't allow anything to be plugged into it, like, printer, DVD drive etc etc.
Beyond me really!

What I will say though is, rest assured Apple with bring out bigger GB's once everyone's bought the iPad 3 at bigger costs. You then have to either buy again to keep up, or sell the one you have to buy the new one. Apple is a businesss it's how businessses work. They are not bothered about you they are bothered about profits.

iHolophyte
I'd say storing DVDs or Blue Rays but it would be very painful copying such large files over to the device.

Sent from Tapatalk

iHolophyte

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 19, 2012
Manchester UK
www.youtube.com
I'd say storing DVDs or Blue Rays but it would be very painful copying such large files over to the device.

Sent from Tapatalk

Good point! And would iTunes allow? With restrictions on flash players etc, wouldn't you need a type of app to convert your blue rays to watch? More than likely. Just open your DVD tray on the pc, laptop and away you go!

Don't get me wrong I'm not anti iPad as I have one. I'm just fed up with everyone thinking the iPad should be more than it was designed to be!

iHolophyte

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
And that's my point. With everyone wanting & wanting & wanting for the iPad it'll soon just become another iMac notepad.

iHolophyte
I didn't say give it a 27" screen, a stand, a bunch of USB ports, a keyboard, and a mouse. I like that it doesn't have all those things and is more of an appliance style computer. I just mused the thought of having that much storage available for playing around with things like iMovie, or having my entire photo & video collection on it at once. But I'm weird like that. I could probably fill up a 1 TB iPad if I wanted to.