To those who got the 16gb iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by rollinfromhell, Sep 25, 2014.

1. rollinfromhell

Gold

Can you please check and tell me what your space is under capacity? I am noticing on the 64 gig phone that 8 gigs are gone 56gb out of 64, and curious to see if that's the OS or just because it's the bigger storage size. I'm thinking of switching to the 16gb plus and I won't if there's only 6-7 gigs on the phone.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I have a 64 GB iPhone 6 and only have 56 GB capacity. It's surprising that the OS and the undeleteable stock apps are taking 8 GB of space. I restored to factory settings right after I got the phone to see if it would free up any of that space and it didn't. I'm curious how much is available on a 16 GB iPhone 6 or 6 Plus as well.

3. jmatheron

jmatheron New Member

Hi on the 16gb it's taking just under 4gb, so we are left with 12gb.

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I also got the 64 GB and I noticed that as well while plug in yesterday. The 16 would not give me enough. When I updated my iPad mini I had delete some App and the stock Apps are big. I got music I download rather then streaming there are 15 GB

5. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Does the 16gb devices include all the extras like GarageBand, pages, numbers, etc?

6. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

The 64 and 128gb versions include Apple's iWork suite pre installed, so that may account for the difference in what is free between the 16gb and other models.

~S

7. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

No the 16GB models don't come with it.

8. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

My iPhone 6 is a 16gb and I had 12.2gb of available space after all the stock apps and OS. Even with all my apps installed I still have about 7gb left over, but I don't keep music or movies on my phone and only a couple games so the 16gb is more than enough space for me.

Sent using iCafe app

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. I deleted every app that it let me when I got the phone. It let me uninstall Pages, Garage Band, etc. The only new app I have on my phone that it wouldn't let me delete is Health, yet I still only have a 56 GB capacity.

10. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Microsoft might have helped with iOS 8

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I wonder why Apple is highjacking 4 extra GB on the 64 GB. The only thing I can think of is those stock apps like Garage Band and Pages are taking up space even after we delete them. I wonder if it is taking up even more space on the 128 GB than it does on the 64. I'll find out here in a couple hours and post back.

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

It's not just the OS and apps, disk formatting also eats up some space. But the main reason isthe difference between colloquial "GB's" (10^9 bytes) and how the OS probably calculates it in GiB's (1024^3 or 2^30 bytes).

If you look at any formatted drive (even blank ones), they never add up to what was advertised on the box.

#12 acosmichippo, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And there's usually even a disclaimer on the hard drive box explaining the difference.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. So going with this formula, the higher the capacity of the device the more "missing" space there will be? If the 16 GB has 4 missing and the 64 has 8, will the 128 have about 11.3 missing?

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

well, 16GB would be about 14.9GiB (what iOS tells you). Then you subtract formatting, OS, etc.

edit:

In OP's case on a 64GB phone, he actually has 59.5GiB, which appears as 4.5GB already lost. Then take another few GB's for the OS, apps, page file, etc... it would probably be right around the 8GB range he is seeing.

So yeah, to answer your question, phones with more storage will appear to "lose" a larger chunk of it due to the GB/GiB calculation.

#15 acosmichippo, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I have a 64GB too. The available space is 50GB and 6GB used. Do you have a link explaining the difference in GB/GiB?

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

18. luvit!

luvit! Member
    Bronze

My 128GB has 114GB capacity

19. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I ordered two 16gb 6's for my wife and I. I have been kinda regretting/thinking I should have ordered the 64 since its a big jump in storage for $100. Our iphone 5's are our second iphones each which have all been 16gb. I never really have a storage issue unless I get too many photos/vids then I just load those to the laptop and delete them off the phone and I'm fine. But with the thoughts of "did I get enough storage" for my iPhone 6's(that I won't have until oct 14) I have been looking into what is taking up space on my 5. I have deleted a bunch of junk apps,kids apps(I rarely let my kids play with it anyway) and I have about 4.5gb left right now. What bothers me is when I look at what is taking up so much space it is my messages. I have since deleted a TON of messages and I still have 1.5gb taken up by messages. On the wifey's phone which hasn't had a message deleted in two years it says her messages are only taking up 522MB. WTF? What could cause my messages to take up so much space even after I deleted a bunch compared to hers who she hasn't deleted any in a long time if ever?

Sent using iCafe app

20. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Do your text messages have a lot of pictures in them over your wife's texts? That could explain the additional storage space being used on your phone.