To those who were having iPhone crashes with Summerboard

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I know a lot of people were complaining they were having programs crash when they installed Summerboard on 1.1.1. I've had it installed for quite some time with no issues. Then yesterday I installed a new theme and selected to have Summerboard dim the background. I had nothing but crashes after that. I finally figured out that what I changed. I changed it back this morning and the crashes haven't happened since. So I'd recommend trying that if you were having issues.

typer922

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Are you saying it was the dimming or the new theme?

Beatbug2

Oct 19, 2007
I know a lot of people were complaining they were having programs crash when they installed Summerboard on 1.1.1. I've had it installed for quite some time with no issues. Then yesterday I installed a new theme and selected to have Summerboard dim the background. I had nothing but crashes after that. I finally figured out that what I changed. I changed it back this morning and the crashes haven't happened since. So I'd recommend trying that if you were having issues.
Thanks that did it. It does not crash anymore.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
i've never really had it crash at all, just slow down a bit

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i have been using the unlocker theme with the dimming and it has been working fine... maybe it is just some themes...? i miss the slider that was there to adjust the dimming level.. i dunno why they would take that out

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Thought this was B.S. when I read it but I was having lots-o-problems with crashes and gave it a shot a couple days ago (using plainjaindim and liked the wallpaper dim). Holy crap it seems to fix it, hasn't crashed since. I was about ready to go back to stock and be bored with my phone.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Don't feel bad. I thought it was BS when I figured it out which is why I tried it like 10 times before I posted anything. I try not to post and BS if I can help it.

It could very well be a theme to theme thing. I was using the dimmer with NEON and I was having issues. Or it's possible it's some combination of programs that cause it. I'm not entirely sure on that one.

andrew79

Bronze
Aug 27, 2007
Thanks termleech, after I undo the dim background everything worked fine. It was getting to a point where everything crashes atleast once before the app would work.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Don't feel bad. I thought it was BS when I figured it out which is why I tried it like 10 times before I posted anything. I try not to post and BS if I can help it.

It could very well be a theme to theme thing. I was using the dimmer with NEON and I was having issues. Or it's possible it's some combination of programs that cause it. I'm not entirely sure on that one.

I was rotating between 5 or 6 themes on a regular basis and had the problem with all of 'em. Seems to be the dim option if ya ask me. I waited a couple days to reply to this post also, not a crash since! Much Thanks for the obscure fix. One of those "don't ask, it's just fixed" things! I repair cars for a living, happens a lot.

Beatbug2

Oct 19, 2007

I was using dimming with NEON when I turned the dimming off like you said it stopped and its working perfecto now!:laugh2:

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i must have jinxed myself by making my earlier post... i was getting crashes everywhere today... every time i went to settings, wifi, safari, phone... everything... and it would go back to the springboard then i would open it again and it would look ok but then i would get the dimmed screen with the update circle and get kicked back to the unlock screen then it would be fine... just shut off the dimming and everything sped up opening and doesn't crash... stupidness.... shoulda left the alpha slider on there like they had... never was a problem before

rabanjr

Oct 3, 2007
Thank You

Have been trying since post came out and this worked like a charm. I was crashing all the time. Have not had a crash since.

Thank you for finding it, as it really is a hard to realize fix.

Allan

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
I wish i was having the success most of you are having. I can open and use sms or mail about 5 or 6 times, then when trying it will kick me back to the home screen 3 times, then the third time it goes to the unlock screen.

medafor

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
thanks for the tip. I was waiting for them to fix this, seems like development stopped completely. no big deal, i know photoshop, i can dim my wallpapers manually if i really feel the need.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Sweet mother of pearl. I can NOT thank you enough. I was ready to physically throw my phone against the wall last night. :mad:If I hadn't of dropped so much money in this thing, it was have been shattered. It was getting out of control. Thanks to your find, I have not had ONE crash since disabling dimming. Unreal. Thank you very, VERY much.

-Ramesh

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
I recant my post from yesterday. It seems that the turning the dim wallpaper setting to off was not sticking. I would turn it off but then if i went back into the preferences it was still on. So the whole time I was experiencing issues, it was still on. I had to change my theme, then set it to off and now it stuck. So far so good.