To upgrade or not to upgrade to iPhone 3GS

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
as a current 3Gr i wasn't ALL that impressed with the announcement of the 3GS...although it does have a FEW more features than the 3G, i don't personally don't think i'll get it...i'd rather wait out this contract issue with AT&T and then get it, or whatever version they will release by then...

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Each to their own my friend... If you can afford it, then I would upgrade just for the speed and video recording... Or like me if you have a broken 3g Id upgrade! :)

Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Personally, i'm going to sit still with my 3G, unless I can get some STUPID offer for it, that basically covers the cost of the 3GS and buys me a 6-pack. :laugh2:

If this means anything, all of these people buying the 3G-S will be disappointed next year, when a whole new model drops with a totally different look..

they'll be looking for subsidies again, and threatening to hit AT&T with all kinds of lawsuits and such... AGAIN...

I'm gonna sit on my 3G, and be jealous of the better camera, more speed, and video capabilities for a year... and then laugh when the new one drops next year, and I'M upgrade eligible, and they aren't... :eek:

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
If this means anything, all of these people buying the 3G-S will be disappointed next year, when a whole new model drops with a totally different look.. :eek:
Sorry not true... in 12 months time I will sell my 3gs 16gb white for around £350. This will let me buy out my contract remaining and sign up for the new one, with enough left for a 12 pack ;)

argeleri

Bronze
Jun 12, 2009
San Francisco
If this means anything, all of these people buying the 3G-S will be disappointed next year, when a whole new model drops with a totally different look..
Probably, but the way I see it, is if the rumor holds true and AT&T extends the iPhone exclusivity to 2011, thats when my contract ends and will allow me to go to verizon or whoever else Apple decides to put the phone on (sprint please). That'll allow me to switch to the new carrier then. However, this is just a rumor just like everything else...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123973238611017715.html

Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I hope all of us are correct and wrong at the same time... I would love to have a 3G-S, but not for the price AT&T wants for it (for current customers under contract and NOT upgrade eligible)..

Subsidize me, and I'll have that baby on Friday during lunch...

I just bought my 3G in March of this year, so there's probably no chance at that.. LOL

S3th13

May 19, 2009
I wonder how many opinions have changed after hearing about the new pricing available to early adopters(first 3 months of release) of the iPhone 3G.

AWY

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
California
My V1 is in pristine condition and working as new. As nice as it appears to be, I'm going to pass on this latest version. I simply do not need a new phone, yet.

stevensondrive

Bronze
Jun 11, 2009
as a current 3Gr i wasn't ALL that impressed with the announcement of the 3GS...although it does have a FEW more features than the 3G, i don't personally don't think i'll get it...i'd rather wait out this contract issue with AT&T and then get it, or whatever version they will release by then...

here is a review I previously posted. you might find it useful

http://gizmodo.com/5293388/iphone-3gs-review

toothdoc

Jan 27, 2009
Im a gadget freak and have the money andd its my only vice. (iPhone) Ive already ordered, and cant wait till tomorrow. :)

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
personally, i'm going to sit still with my 3g, unless i can get some stupid offer for it, that basically covers the cost of the 3gs and buys me a 6-pack. :laugh2:

If this means anything, all of these people buying the 3g-s will be disappointed next year, when a whole new model drops with a totally different look..

They'll be looking for subsidies again, and threatening to hit AT&T with all kinds of lawsuits and such... Again...

I'm gonna sit on my 3g, and be jealous of the better camera, more speed, and video capabilities for a year... And then laugh when the new one drops next year, and i'm upgrade eligible, and they aren't... :eek:
probably, but the way i see it, is if the rumor holds true and AT&T extends the iPhone exclusivity to 2011, thats when my contract ends and will allow me to go to verizon or whoever else Apple decides to put the phone on (sprint please). That'll allow me to switch to the new carrier then. However, this is just a rumor just like everything else...

http://online.wsj.com/article/sb123973238611017715.html

excellent points!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

they'll be looking for subsidies again, and threatening to hit AT&T with all kinds of lawsuits and such... AGAIN...
No, we won't be disappointed or talking about lawsuits at all. We'll buy the new phone next year regardless if we can get it subsidized or not. I plan on buying the new one every year and I'm more than happy to be able to get it subsidized every other year because I realize that the actual cost of the phone is much more than the subsidized cost.

Jun 19, 2009
You can call AT&T and check your upgrade eligibility. I bought my 3G back in Sept of 2008 and I qualify for the upgrade and only have to pay $199.00 to get the 3G S. How nice......!

IBJanky

Bronze
Jun 12, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I have a V1 iPhone and it's almost full to capacity. Upgrading to a 32GB 3Gs was a no brainer.

myke

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
a FORMER 2G owner and now a very happy 3Gs owner. No brainer for me. Increased capacity & speed r very welcome.