Today's earthquake in California

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I am still trembling, as I ran with my daughter glass from pictures crashed all around us on the hardwood floor and pieces of glass flew everywhere, luckily none hit us but did hit our kitten but he's ok just a small cut right between the eyes. We are about 5 miles from epicenter and my husband is a fireman about 2 miles from epicenter. It was scary not hearing from him for awhile but I hate it when I am alone with the kids when these things happen. He is on paramedic duty today so as you can imagine he checked in with me quickly (took over and hour to get through) and they are very busy with call after call. I still don't have very good phone service so I thought I would come here and be distracted by something else. Hope anyone else in the area is ok, I know monkeyrocks lives near by and maybe Savi. :(
I HATE earthquakes!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I am still trembling, as I ran with my daughter glass from pictures crashed all around us on the hardwood floor and pieces of glass flew everywhere, luckily none hit us but did hit our kitten but he's ok just a small cut right between the eyes. We are about 5 miles from epicenter and my husband is a fireman about 2 miles from epicenter. It was scary not hearing from him for awhile but I hate it when I am alone with the kids when these things happen. He is on paramedic duty today so as you can imagine he checked in with me quickly (took over and hour to get through) and they are very busy with call after call. I still don't have very good phone service so I thought I would come here and be distracted by something else. Hope anyone else in the area is ok, I know monkeyrocks lives near by and maybe Savi. :(
I HATE earthquakes!
Wow. Thats very scary. I can only imagine how bad it was for you...

I'm pretty far from the epicenter and I still felt it pretty strong. That must've been an awful experience. I'm glad to hear that you and your family are okay though. :)

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Good to hear everything is O.K. How often do earthquakes occur out there?

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Hate earthquakes? leave california if you can.

I will NEVER live in that state, for that reason alone.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Good to hear everything is O.K. How often do earthquakes occur out there?
Northridge 1994? was the last pretty big one but there is a good jolt here every couple of years. This one though was the biggest one I have felt at home.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank

But the nice thing is we don't really get hurricanes, or tornados, like in Texas, for example.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
But the nice thing is we don't really get hurricanes, or tornados, like in Texas, for example.
Tornados were my only concern when living in TX, and even for the many years I lived there, I never was invovled in one. So, likelihood of one effecting MANY individuals is small.

Now I live in PA. Not much but Coal and Amish people out this way. ;)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal

Can't leave California, my husband works for Los Angeles County Fire Department and he would never leave that job. Earthquakes aside, we love the weather, beach, and have a very nice home, family, friends here that would be hard to leave behind. The news all day though has been saying the big one is coming, which unnerves me.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Can't leave California, my husband works for Los Angeles County Fire Department and he would never leave that job. Earthquakes aside, we love the weather, beach, and have a very nice home, family, friends here that would be hard to leave behind. The news all day though has been saying the big one is coming, which unnerves me.
They've been saying that for years now... ;)

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
we can always build storm shelters or cellars for tornadoes. can't really escape an earthquake :p

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
OK lets not pick on where people live. Everywhere lives where there are risks, some greater than others. No big deal.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I guess we can't live in fear, anyone can die at anytime. There are a thousand different ways we can die daily. I get more scared for my husband and fires. If you guys saw the movie Ladder 49 where the car pulls up to the firemans wife's house to tell her the bad news, well thats my biggest fear, that the fire dept. car will pull up to my house one day.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Wow, I apologize, I just saw Sav's thread "Shake, shake, shake" I didn't do an earthquake search I just wrote without checking, sorry for the duplicate subject thread.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
There are PLENTY of upsides to CA, that is for sure.

I would move to the northern parts...LOVE the landscape up there.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Wow, I apologize, I just saw Sav's thread "Shake, shake, shake" I didn't do an earthquake search I just wrote without checking, sorry for the duplicate subject thread.
Don't worry about it. This ones more a personal thing, you know? :)

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Connie - glad to hear you're ok. I'm down in Irvine, and I felt it pretty good down here. My first earthquake. It was surreal for me, and my wife freaked out. :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Good to hear everybody's okay. I've never been in an earthquake myself, but I'm sure it's quite the frightening experience.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Im happy to hear you OK connie cause I know I wouldn't be:sick: ...and I'm also sorry to hear about what happened to your cat :(
-If I were one of your kids I would feel safe cause I would seriously not know where to go or what to do, I hope I never see or feel a earthquake, Tornado, or any other type of natural disaster :sick: