Tom Tom app

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by icallea, Dec 22, 2010.

1. icallea

icallea New Member

Is anyone having problem with Tom Tom APP. I am getting poor GPS reception since 4.2.1 upgrade....It is fine on iPhone 3G

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I had reception issues with TomTom also. It would loose GPS signal while driving down the interstate - nothing to block the signal. Switched to Navigon and won't go back!

Do you have any other navigation software installed? Tomtom likes to be the only one with location services running. If you have others, turn them off and see if that helps any.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

RoofMonkey is right! bite the bullet and get Navigon...it's simply the best!

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I can't get Navigon to announce street names that you are supposed to turn on, which I why I still favor TomTom. Am I missing a setting?

5. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

I always have mine muted....I don't like listening to her talk while I'm trying to listen to music, or am talking to someone! I've been using GPS's for about 6 years, and have always had them muted.

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Then what good are they. You are supposed to be looking at the road, not the GPS. The only direction the App can give, then, is audio.

7. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

looking, and glancing are two different things!

Don't you glance at your mirrors every few seconds? Or is there someone telling you what's going on behind you while your driving?
    Don't you glance at your radio, or out your window at the person walking down the street, or at the person next you, or at your kids in the back?
    Out of dozens of people I personally know that use GPS's, none of them EVER use the audio for directions! You don't need to sit there staring at your phone for constant directions, you glance at it once in a while for guidance...I've done 900km trips without listening to the lady tell me where to turn, and I never made a wrong turn, or even missed a turn!

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

May be a silly question, but could you have sound in Navagon turned down / off?
    Click more , options, volume level and I have it set to default voice. I don't see any other sound settings. ?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

9. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Full volume. I get: turn left in 250 feet. No mention of the street name. TomTom says turn left in 250 feet at 36th Ave.

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I will have to check that myself tomorrow. 10pm here now and not going out, but let me see if it announces the street names like you say tomtom does.

11. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

I just did a quick simulation drive on mine, and it announced the street names. I'm not sure how to help you...Just play with your settings in Navigon, and make sure your phone isn't muted, and the volume is up... If that doesn't help, then may I suggest reinstalling Navigon on your iPhone.

Good Luck Lon

12. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

No problem! Mine does't announce. I'm guessing it is an Alaskan thing since we always get f***cke3d up here. Thanks for all the feed back.

13. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

i hope you can resolve it...it always sucks when something isn't working properly.
    Try contacting them on Facebook...I've sent them messages before, and although they sometimes take a little long to get back to you, they usually respond.

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You may want to get ahold of Navigon, maybe tech support and confirm of that is the case, just to find out for sure.

15. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

That's always been my problem. Navigon has NEVER responded. As far as I am concerned, they have worse customer relations than Verizon!

16. DavidT

DavidT Member
    Bronze

Make sure you have computer voice selected
    Could also be via bluetooth connection. Turn it off and make sure audio is via iPhone speaker

17. pradley

pradley Member
    Bronze

Canamera, you must have the most amazing eyesight on earth. All you do is glance at the display and you read street and highway names, then quickly look back to the road. I glance at a mirror to see something but when I look at a map I have to read the information, and that requires much more than a glance. I know of no one, and I mean no one, who has a GPS and does not use voice commands, I have discarded those that do not pronounce street names, numbers, and other pertinent information. If you do not use voice commands, why bother with Navigon at all?

18. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I usually cant hear the voice prompts due to my radio \m/
    But like other programs,etc... After you use it long enough you can go by the visual cues on the screen. I just got Magellan's roadmate app and haven't memorized their layout yet, so i found myself having to listen to the prompts, at least for now.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

19. pradley

pradley Member
    Bronze

I have a car with an ipod/iPhone hookup and when I plug the phone into it, the voice prompts override whatever is playing on the radio. What you describe would not work for me in a city, where I often drive: I am listening to the street name and looking at the street signs, if I had to look back and forth at the screen, I would have to slow down and be sure I was reading correctly. That's just not practical and possibly even dangerous..

20. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

The Default Voice (TTS) got it going. Thanks for the tip. Not a bad App now!:eek:k:eek:k