Tom Tom Application?

ox-boy

Sep 25, 2008
Has anyone got any news or info on a Tom Tom application be launched?

I heard its a strong possibility but want more concrete evidence?

harleygold

Bronze
Jul 26, 2008
Anderson, IN
That would be an awesome application. The GPS on this phone is underestimated and doesn't provide useful applications at this time. Even the Google maps app is not as proficient as I'd like.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have been trying to find more concrete information on a TomTom or Garmin App but nothing has turned up yet. The last I heard it was in the works but there is no word as to a release date unfortunately.

r1mania

Jul 19, 2008
I am def waiting this app. I hope it will not be a pay per use or per month type of app though. Id pay for the initial app for sure though. One reason I bought the wife the iPhone as well.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I would much rather have a Garmin App, but will take what I can get.:) So far I have found the GPS to be really good in my area, but I would love to have voice.

I get the feeling it is going to be a pay app. With maps the way they currently are, you have to access the internet to be able to use them. Try using your GPS in an area without internet or in airplane mode......

Therefore, in order to keep from using a gig or two on your iPhone, any GPS app will likely be the same way. So you will never need to pay $69 to $150 to update your maps every two years. They should be updated themselves. And like others have mentioned, there are endless possibilities to what could be added to the maps of a GPS program, such as user recommended restaurants, warnings, even real time accident data, if it is all using the internet.

So even though I see one being Pay for use, I am hoping it will have crazy options we never have really thought of before. Of course, it all depends on service from AT&T again which really throws a problem in there lol

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
That would be an awesome application. The GPS on this phone is underestimated and doesn't provide useful applications at this time. Even the Google maps app is not as proficient as I'd like.
I had this discussion at a poker table last night. I said while it's cool to have the GPS, it's pretty much useless now. Google maps works OK, but it's useless when driving, since you have to keep looking at the screen.

teambash

Bronze
Aug 20, 2008
I had this discussion at a poker table last night. I said while it's cool to have the GPS, it's pretty much useless now. Google maps works OK, but it's useless when driving, since you have to keep looking at the screen.

AS much as this would be cool this might not work so well.
If you are out of your area using the gps u might get dinged for roaming charges. I wonder how that would work?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
AT&T doesn't have roaming charges.
We don't have them here in the US, but you would have to be careful if say you were near the Canadian border. You could possibly drift over to the Rogers network and incur roaming charges that way.:)

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I would love to have a GPS app on my iPhone.

I think someone should release one for jailbroken phones - :p

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I would love to have a GPS app on my iPhone.

I think someone should release one for jailbroken phones - :p
I would also like the app that turns solid items into gold to be added to cydia.