Tom Tom is here

eplchamps0304

Bronze
Feb 24, 2009
Tom Tom navigation software is out. It is only available in NZ at the moment. The pricing for USA Canada is $125. They can go to hell.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I'm not gonna be purchasing that app anytime soon. That price is outrageous! I know it may come with hardware but still. I can buy a standalone GPS unit for less than that.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You can get a refurbished TomTom 130 for $49.99 after $20 mail-in rebate from Newegg.

I just bought a refurbished TomTom XL 330s with TTS for $99 from them. Works great. I was also able to download the latest maps using the TomTom HOME 2 software.

eplchamps0304

Bronze
Feb 24, 2009
Correction. That's is in NZ$. In US $ it's 80 bucks. Let's wait and see what it does that the others don't do.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Anything less than $100 will be nice, but it still doesn't compare to having a stand along unit with TTS for $99! The only thing you're paying for is the convenience of having one less gadget. I still think it will be a good seller. People will like the convenience. BUT... when you think of that extra piece of hardware, how does that differ from just having a stand alone unit? Makes no sense to me. I'll pass...... Napoleon..thanks for the heads up. I own a Tom Tom XL330 without TTS. Somehow I scratched the front screen pretty bad so I may just want to get a nice BRAND new one :)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yeah - I've been weighing the pros and cons of having a turn-by-turn navigation app on my iPhone for some time. I just don't want my iPhone locked into that task in my car when I might have to take a call. Also, the volume of my iPhone isn't sufficient to overcome the volume of my radio at the volumes I usually use.

Therefore, I've decided to go the separate GPS unit route.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah - I've been weighing the pros and cons of having a turn-by-turn navigation app on my iPhone for some time. I just don't want my iPhone locked into that task in my car when I might have to take a call. Also, the volume of my iPhone isn't sufficient to overcome the volume of my radio at the volumes I usually use.

Therefore, I've decided to go the separate GPS unit route.
I completely agree with that. I don't want to have to deal with grabbing the phone while driving to attempt and see who is calling and the volume would certainly be an issue as well.

Also, there are still areas where the GPS on the iPhone is quite sub-par whereas my Garmin can always pinpoint my exact location.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm going to be getting a stand alone Garmin or Tom Tom instead as well. The app is just not worth it IMO due to cost, extra hardware required/recommended, and use of it ties up the phone. I also don't really like how apps like this cause extreme heat on the phone when used for extended periods of time.

Initially I was thinking a stand alone will also be better in that you're going to have better coverage areas since the stand alones use satellites and the apps require a cell signal. But then after thinking about it, I'm not sure if this is true if you have the Tom Tom iPhone hardware since it has an independed GPS. Because it has this independent GPS chip, do you think it will continue to work when you lose your AT&T signal and drop to no service?

Either way, I'm going with a stand alone.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
TomTom is going to have a hard time convincing people to spend $100 on their app when there are other apps for much cheaper in the store that IMHO are just as good. I've got the Navigon app and I'm VERY happy with it. I'm glad I decided to get it and not wait for TomTom.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think it's hard to compare this to a standalone GPS unit. To do so, I think you need to include the price of the mount, which I haven't seen. If it includes an antenna, speakerphone and hands-free dialing, it's going to be at least $75-$100.

I've been using the Palm Pre's GPS, which is great, but there are times it cannot find a signal. I have a feeling it would be more of the same with the 3GS, if you don't go for he mount.

I think the complete package does look great, just think a standalone might be better for me. I opted for a refurbed Garmin 885t.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I like TomTom, I even have one! But, at the same time, $99.99 for the iPhone version. Are you serious? Rhetorical, of course.

And, that's just SOFTWARE you're paying for...

drockx

Aug 17, 2009
well with the price being a little ridiculous for what you're actually getting, does anyone know if there is anywhere that you can find iPhone apps on p2p or torrent? Or do apps not transfer from iPhone to iPhone?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
well with the price being a little ridiculous for what you're actually getting, does anyone know if there is anywhere that you can find iPhone apps on p2p or torrent? Or do apps not transfer from iPhone to iPhone?
Please review our forum policy.