TOM TOM Updates... WILL THERE BE A COST?

ox-boy

Sep 25, 2008
Does anyone know or have any thoughts on whether there will be a cost on the TOM TOM updates?

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I doubt it but you never know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
TomTom isn't saying anything definite yet. They have an iPhone app FAQ up here and this is their response to that question:

12. Will the map updates be free or do I need to pay for them?

Currently, installing a new map is not necessary, as the TomTom app for iPhone features the latest Tele Atlas map (version 8:30). It’s TomTom’s policy to always make the latest maps available to its users, in both an easy and affordable way. When new maps become available, TomTom will inform its users how to upgrade their map.

Last edited by a moderator:

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Ah he was talking about the Maps I thought he ment just a general software update

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
It seems to me that most map updates (if not all) will cost at some point either as an annual cost for the optional purchase of the revised data or as a recurring monthly charge ala AT&T. At present, none of the Google map products, Yahoo, or Mapquest, for example, show major changes made to some key interstate exchanges made in my area in the past year or more. I am still holding off buying the update for car, for example.

YMMV

Jun 30, 2009
That means there is still no map updates. If they introduce a update it will cost. That's not good to hear.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
12. Will the map updates be free or do I need to pay for them?

Currently, installing a new map is not necessary, as the TomTom app for iPhone features the latest Tele Atlas map (version 8:30). It’s TomTom’s policy to always make the latest maps available to its users, in both an easy and affordable way. When new maps become available, TomTom will inform its users how to upgrade their map.
What an annoying answer! Just say yes or no you freaks. They purposely avoided the answer to that question so when we finally find out, we will have already bought it. THUMBS DOWN TO TOM TOM.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with Naps. It definitely seems as if there will be an "affordable" charge to upgrade the maps at some point.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
They have a deal where you can update quarterly. I find it wasteful to update maps that often unless you live in an area that is still under development. I've mentioned this before, but I live in an area that has not had a new road built in fifty years. There are some minor changes that map updates help me with. An example would be a one way street that changed direction or for that matter now has bi-directional traffic. The upgrades to the software are going to be free. Look at their website and their fees for map updates are quite reasonable.