TomTom news?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ugh I was expecting this last Wednesday on 3.0's debut, where is it? Everywhere I look online there are no hints as to when it's coming or how much it will be.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I can't remember for sure, but when they did the demos at the WWDC, I think I remember them saying, "later this summer".

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
You got me curious so I just rewatched it. He just says "this summer".

mdb4403

Bronze
Mar 11, 2009
THeres is also a turn by turn voice GPS called I think Gokivo which uses Yahoo maps and is a monthly subscription based program. It costs .99 to buy some fuctionality but if you want voice guided turn by turn you have to pay 10.00 a month. Im dying to find out how it works on an old 3g. My GPS with google maps has always been spotty and jumpy. Im curious whether that was a hardware limitation or software. I wonder if these turn by turn programs are able to achieve better accuracy with the gps perhaps by logging into more sattelites. I may just buy it for a month to see how it works.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
AT&T navigator is live right now in the app store. It's free for the app but costs $9.99 a month on your AT&T bill. I'm going to give it a try until TomTom or Navigon comes out so I have something to compare them to. The nice thing about the subscriptions is constant map updates and live traffic (which remains to be seen if the TomTom or Navigon will have).

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Last week, I heard on NPR that Tom Tom has licensed the use of Homer Simpson's voice. I can see it now, "mmmmm donuts ..... ugugugug .... d'oh!"

Dec 25, 2007
I'm waiting for Tom Tom too.
im waiting for jailbreak :p (for 3GS)

but it helps that the 3GS is so much quicker to render directions, etc, etc... i can easily re-route when i go the wrong way on google maps

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Shane Watson said:
How would they will give you a date? They don't even know the date. They must be storming their brains right now. But I am sure our patience will be reworded.
Reworded into what? :laugh2:

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Dan Frakes, a Macworld magazine editor I follow on Twitter, just tweeted that he had a great conversation with TomTom about their upcoming iPhone app and cradle accessory. I replied, asking him if they had mentioned a release date. He responded and said "No pricing or date set yet, but most likely single purchase. Future map updates not free, of course."

So far, so good on it not being an app that requires a monthly subscription fee!

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
AT&T navigator is live right now in the app store. It's free for the app but costs $9.99 a month on your AT&T bill. I'm going to give it a try until TomTom or Navigon comes out so I have something to compare them to. The nice thing about the subscriptions is constant map updates and live traffic (which remains to be seen if the TomTom or Navigon will have).
Have you tried it yet? What's your thoughts?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
The AT&T navigator is not worth it. I wouldn't even pay $10 one time for the app. It destroys your battery and seems to lose connection even in full bars requiring you to manually push a reconnect button. I'd wait off for another solution.

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
This has to be annoying now :/

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Agreed. That AT&T app is horrible. The phone heats up to the point where there is net battery loss even with it connected to the power source. The woman's voice sounds distorted and traveling at highway speeds you can't understand a word she says (unless you're wearing headphones or have a BT uplink to your radio is so equipped). The traffic updates are sometimes incorrect. Umm what else. Oh.. don't for a minute think that maps are up to date. They rely on NAVTEQ or the other one (forgot which). I typed in an address of a new development that's been there for a year (Shea Blvd Massapequa NY). ATT Navigator didn't know where the heck it was. I'm deleting the APP and making sure I don't get billed. It was free for the first month.