TONS of stuck pixels- and more surprises

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

f1vespeed

Sep 27, 2007
Hi everyone, just joined to post this, in the interest of being counted among those who had screen issues.

I bought my 8 gig about a week after the price drop. Right off the bat, I noticed 3 prominent pixels stuck green. After a while, I realized that those were actually clusters, because when I looked at the screen with a black image in a completely dark room, there were little green spots EVERYWHERE.

I got an appointment with a genius and went to the Apple store, and the girl (sidenote: who lifted up her shirt, that was kinda weird and unprofessional but enjoyable, to wipe the screen with it) wouldn't go look at it in a dark room, but simply looked at it at arm's length and only saw the 2 brightest clusters. She wouldn't replace it on the spot, but gave me a case number to use with Applecare on the phone.

After 20 minutes on the phone with Applecare, they were very nice about the issue, assured me they had a high standard for quality, and would send me a shipping box to send my phone in for a screen replacement

I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

2 other disappointments:
1) My glass wasn't mounted at the exact same depth relative to the chrome rim at all corners, and I told them about that, so I guess I'll see if anything is done about that as well
2) My screen has picked up a few scratches at the corners, and one huge gouge after i tried to squeeze an air bubble out from under my screen protector. anyone else have a bunch of scratches? I use my phone pretty carefuly, never stuck it in a pocket with anything else.

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
Well, it looks as though they will fix the problem. The scratches and the gouge are another concern for me. Were they there before or after you applied the film protector to the glass? They may not be covered by the warranty.

However, in retrospect, Apple may in turn ignore the scratches and eat the cost of the glass screen if they have to replace the whole thing just to get rid of the dead/stuck pixels. You'll probably make out in the end.

Let us know.

FW

PS - Did they send you a replacement iPhone?

PPS - Don't forget to remove your SIM card before sending the iPhone back to Apple for service.

f1vespeed

Sep 27, 2007
The gouge in the screen came as a result of (clumsily) applying the screen protector and squeezing too hard to push out the air bubble, which probably had something sharp stuck in it. I don't think I'm entitled to any kind of warranty replacement on this one, it's my fault.
The other (short clusters of) scratches mostly started to form at the corner, where on my phone the glass meets the chrome rim at exactly the same height on 2 out of 4 corners. My bet is that these scratches started from the lateral edge of the glass and worked their way in, and could've been avoided if the glass was sunken below the rim, but what do I know. Again, I don't care if the glass comes back replaced or not, I don't really feel entitled to the replacement, but I hope they do decide that the uneven height is not "within spec"

Anyway, for me what it comes down to is big disappointment over the quality of the glass, which i thought from watching that early stress test video would be much more resilient, and the fact that my LCD was such a total piece of crap, with literally hundreds of stuck green dots.
I feel like Apple is just doing the bare minimum quality assurance on these things and getting them out the door, and just dealing with the nitpickers if they surface with complaints.

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
The gouge in the screen came as a result of (clumsily) applying the screen protector and squeezing too hard to push out the air bubble, which probably had something sharp stuck in it. I don't think I'm entitled to any kind of warranty replacement on this one, it's my fault.
The other (short clusters of) scratches mostly started to form at the corner, where on my phone the glass meets the chrome rim at exactly the same height on 2 out of 4 corners. My bet is that these scratches started from the lateral edge of the glass and worked their way in, and could've been avoided if the glass was sunken below the rim, but what do I know. Again, I don't care if the glass comes back replaced or not, I don't really feel entitled to the replacement, but I hope they do decide that the uneven height is not "within spec"

Anyway, for me what it comes down to is big disappointment over the quality of the glass, which i thought from watching that early stress test video would be much more resilient, and the fact that my LCD was such a total piece of crap, with literally hundreds of stuck green dots.
I feel like Apple is just doing the bare minimum quality assurance on these things and getting them out the door, and just dealing with the nitpickers if they surface with complaints.
Well, I think you won't have to worry about the scratches and gouge. That whole screen and glass is a one part deal. They'll have to replace the entire assembly to remedy the stuck/dead pixels. You should be all set. They are just gonna have to eat the cost of it this time. And, as for you...stop eating your veggies before applying the protective film cover!

FW